Meghan Markle will narrate the Disneynature documentary “Elephant,” which is set to debut April 3 on Disney Plus, the studio announced Thursday. It will mark the first project for Markle after she and her husband, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, officially step away from their roles within the British Royal Family on March 31.
In support of “Elephants,” Disneynature and the Disney Conservation Fund are donating to Elephants Without Borders, an organization working to protect the elephants living in Botswana.
More from Variety
- Disney Plus Hits 5 Million App Downloads in U.K., Europe on Launch Day
- Netflix Suspends Phone Customer Support Worldwide During Coronavirus Crisis
- Disney Plus to Cut Bandwidth Use by 25% for Europe Launch, Debut in France Delayed
Notably, Disneynature’s announcement credits Markle as “Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex,” rather than including her previous royal title of “HRH.”
— Disneynature (@Disneynature) March 26, 2020
“Elephant” will premiere on Disney Plus the same day as the previously announced Disneynature documentary “Dolphin Reef,” which will be narrated by Natalie Portman. “Penguins,” which opened in theaters in 2019, will also debut on the streaming service that day.
Mark Linfield, who’s directed previous Disneynature projects including 2012’s “Chimpanzee” and 2015’s “Monkey Kingdom,” is helming “Elephants,” with co-directors Vanessa Berlowitz and Alastair Fothergill.
The film follows an African elephant named Shani and her male child Jomo as they migrate with their herd and its matriarch, Gaia, across the Kalahari Desert in Botswana. A press release from Disney Plus noted that the elephants face “brutal heat, dwindling resources and persistent predators, as they follow in their ancestor’s footsteps on a quest to reach a lush, green paradise.”
Watch a trailer for “Elephant” and “Dolphin Reef” below:
Best of Variety
- How Coronavirus Is Affecting Entertainment: All the Major Delays and Cancellations
- Coronavirus Live Updates: France Shuts Down Stores, Trump Expands Travel Ban
- Oscars 2020: The Complete Winners List