Mauricio Pochettino ready to deal Tottenham hammer blow with Chelsea move for key summer target
Prospective new Chelsea boss Mauricio Pochettino could be ready to battle it out with his former club Tottenham for a new goalkeeper this summer, TEAMtalk understands.
Pochettino’s appointment as boss of his old club’s major rivals is believed to be ‘edging closer’ and ‘could be announced in the next week,’ according to reports.
The Argentine has been in talks with Chelsea and Tottenham recently. But now, everything is pointing towards him taking the job in west London rather than north.
The freefalling Blues are in need of some positive news after five successive defeats since interim boss Frank Lampard returned, leaving them sitting 12th in the table.
Pochettino’s move to Stamford Bridge is not expected to go down well at all with Tottenham fans. However, it appears that Daniel Levy has doubts over bringing back the club’s former manager so, to that end, Pochettino can hardly be blamed for taking up another role – even if it is with a bitter rival.
The 51-year-old is also expected to backed by Blues owner Todd Boehly in the summer window, despite the fact that the American has already spent £600million on new signings since his arrival at the club.
A new No.9 remains the priority for a Chelsea side that has struggled to score goals this season. However, TEAMtalk understands that bringing in another goalkeeper is also high on the agenda – and that is where a move for a Tottenham target comes in.
Inter Milan’s Andre Onana has been considered as a long-term replacement for Hugo Lloris at Spurs for some time. Indeed, they were offered the 27-year-old earlier this year.
Chelsea, Tottenham in Onana scrap
And now transfer insider Graeme Bailey has given us the latest on the Cameroon international’s future, including an update on interest from Chelsea and Tottenham.
Bailey said: “Inter need to raise money this summer and not being able to sell Milan Skriniar has been a major blow to them.
“I am told an Inter delegation visited England in February and part of that was to drum up interest, and it worked.
“Chelsea and Tottenham both like Onana, they liked him before he left Ajax to join Inter.
“He isn’t on a free, but Inter are ready to take a decent price and he is a genuine target for both those.”
Chelsea are back in action on Tuesday evening when they will be looking to arrest their alarming slide at London rivals Arsenal.
READ MORE: Chelsea deal falling into place as £60million will land them top target from PSG this summer
The article Mauricio Pochettino ready to deal Tottenham hammer blow with Chelsea move for key summer target appeared first on Teamtalk.com.