Man Allegedly Killed 15-Year-Old Daughter, Then Tried to Blame Stepson with Autism: Police

“I was there with the entire homicide squad Sunday, and to say it was a tragedy is an understatement,” Dayton Police Major Brian Johns said

<p>Kendra Farler/Facebook</p> Kendra Farler

Kendra Farler/Facebook

Kendra Farler

Police in Ohio have accused a 38-year-old man of fatally shooting his 15-year-old daughter, then trying to blame his stepson with autism.

Kenneth Paul Farler III is facing one count each of involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide and child endangering along with gun charges in connection with the death of Kendra Farler.

Police said the April 16 shooting occurred at a boarding house in the 400 block of Bowen Street where Farler was living. Officers arrived at the scene after receiving a 911 call after 12 p.m. Sunday, April 14.

“The remarks on the call stated that a female 15 years of age was shot and killed at the residence, and that she was killed by her 15-year-old sibling who was autistic and nonverbal,” Dayton Police Department Major Brian Johns said at a Tuesday press conference.

<p>Miami Valley Jails</p> Kenneth Farler

Miami Valley Jails

Kenneth Farler

Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Sign up for   for breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases.PEOPLE's free True Crime newsletter

Johns said that officers spoke with Farler and the teen’s stepmother and both stated, “she was shot and killed by the sibling.”

Those statements “later proved to be false and that the young lady was shot and killed by her father inside the Bowen Street address,” Johns said.

“We have great investigators here at Dayton Police Department,” said Johns. “And they knew right away that those stories weren't consistent. And upon further questioning, got an admission to the crime.”

Johns said he did not believe the shooting was an accident. “Even our victim was asking him to not point a shotgun at her prior to her death,” he said. “So that's not an accident.”

The teen’s stepmother hasn’t been charged and is cooperating with the investigation.

“I was there with the entire homicide squad Sunday, and to say it was a tragedy is an understatement,” said Johns.

It is unclear if Farler has retained an attorney to speak on his behalf.

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.