Man allegedly attacks jail guards after arrest for trying to stab flight attendant with broken spoon

A passenger accused of attacking a flight attendant with a broken spoon and trying to open an emergency door allegedly tried to attack guards at the jail where he is being held.

Francisco Torres, 33, of Leominster, Massachusetts, allegedly attacked two guards at the Wyatt Detention Facility in Central Falls, Rhode Island, sources told ABC News.

The suspect was charged with one count of interference and attempted interference with flight crew members and attendants using a dangerous weapon on the flight from Los Angels to Boston.

Video recorded by a fellow passenger showed a man identified as Mr Torres threatening to “kill every man on this plane” and goading anyone to stop him.

Authorities say that 45 minutes before the flight landed in Boston on Sunday, a cockpit alarm went off indicating that an emergency door had been deactivated.

Court documents state the handle was found to have been moved from fully locked a quarter of the way to unlocked and the emergency slide arming lever had been moved to the “disarmed” position.

A flight attendant secured the door and emergency slide before reporting the situation to the captain.

Another flight attendant then reported that the suspect had been seen near the emergency door and had tampered with it, and when confronted he asked if any cameras had recorded him doing so.

Federal prosecutors say that the flight attendant notified the captain that the suspect was believed to be a threat to the flight and that he should land the aircraft as soon as possible.

Mr Torres is then accused of getting out of his seat and approaching two flight attendants before allegedly trying to stab one of them with a broken metal spoon.

Court documents state that the employee was hit on the neck three times by the suspect.

“Passengers then tackled Torres and he was restrained with the assistance of flight crew. Torres was immediately taken into custody upon the flight’s arrival to Boston,” prosecutors state.

If convicted Mr Torres faces a maximum prison of life behind bars, five years of supervised release and a fine of up to $250,000.

Mr Torres was being held in Rhode Island pending a bail hearing on Thursday.

The US Attorney’s Office for the District of Massachusetts declined to comment when contacted by The Independent.