Malaysian man dies after choking on Ang Ku Kueh
The 64-year-old man had returned to Perak to celebrate the Lunar New Year with his family
MALAYSIA — A 64-year-old Malaysian man reportedly died after choking on ang ku kueh, a sticky, chewy Chinese pastry, while having breakfast with his family.
The man was rushed to the hospital, but died there, according to media reports in Malaysia.
The tragic incident that took Ji Rimei’s life occurred when he returned to Perak to celebrate the Lunar New Year with his family.
According to Chinese media reports, the man was having a red tortoise ang ku kueh at his residence with his son and daughter-in-law on Sunday (29 January) when he suddenly experienced difficulty breathing and soreness in his throat.
Ji passed on the way to the hospital
When his son and daughter-in-law realised what was happening, they rushed him to the closest public clinic, a two-minute drive away, only to discover it was "closed".
They then travelled further to a private hospital in Teluk Intan, about 10 kilometres away.
Before they could bring Ji for consultation with the doctor, he had already passed away during the drive there.
An unintentional mistake by his son results in his guilt
His son discovered only after his death that he could have alerted medical personnel at the clinic earlier if he had pressed an emergency button.
Media reports indicated that the son felt regret and guilt after realising his mistake.
Some family members were more forgiving, acknowledging that the couple could have been flustered and unable to handle the situation appropriately at that time.
His death was determined to be due to choking following an autopsy in a hospital.
Do you have a story tip? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also follow us on Facebook, TikTok and Twitter. Also check out our Southeast Asia, Food, and Gaming channels on YouTube.