Malaysia records 8,084 new Covid-19 cases, slight uptick in past 24 hours

·1-min read
People spend the afternoon at KLCC Park in Kuala Lumpur October 10, 2021. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
People spend the afternoon at KLCC Park in Kuala Lumpur October 10, 2021. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 14 — The Health Ministry announced 8,084 new Covid-19 cases today.

The latest numbers were an increase of 134 cases compared to the 7,950 new infections recorded yesterday.

This brings the total number of Covid-19 cases in the country to 2,369,613.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah also disclosed that that only 133 or 1.6 per cent of the cases reported today were in categories 3, 4 and 5 that required hospitalisation, while the remaining 98.4 per cent are in categories 1 and 2.

“There are currently 702 patients being treated in intensive care units (ICU), of which 19 are suspected, probable or under investigation for Covid-19.

“Out of these 702, 367 need ventilators to help them breathe including 286 who are confirmed to be positive for Covid-19,” he said.

He added that 17 new clusters were also detected over the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of active clusters in the country to 744.

“Of the 17 new clusters, nine are related to workplaces, four are from community transmissions, three involving high risk groups and one involving a private education facility under the Ministry of Education,” he said.

He said that Malaysia’s rate of infection currently stands at 0.88, with Putrajaya being the state with the highest infectivity rate, which stands at 1.07.

Labuan was the only state or federal territory in Malaysia to have a 0 infectivity rate.

Related Articles National Cancer Institute deputy director: 60 fully vaccinated cancer patients receive Covid-19 booster shots Recovery Council sets up special task force to scrutinise SME-related issues Four Pakatan MPs formally join National Recovery Council today

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting