Malaysia will use all its might, resources to fight Sulu ‘heirs’ claims, Azalina declares
KUALA LUMPUR, March 1 — Law Minister Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said said today the coalition government led by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will use all of its powers and resources to block the bid to seize any national assets by parties claiming to be heirs of the now-defunct Sulu Sultanate.
Azalina said in a statement issued after a meeting held in Sabah with both ruling and Opposition lawmakers that the Malaysian government “will not compromise” on matters of sovereignty and national interest.
“The federal government under the leadership of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim and his Cabinet will not compromise on aspects of sovereignty and security and will not stop our efforts to protect our interests, sovereign immunity and our sovereignty at all times,” she said.
“And we will continue to take all necessary actions to block the claims of the (allegedly Sulu Sultanate heir) using all our powers, rights and resources,” the Pengerang MP added.
Azalina told Parliament yesterday that the parties purporting to be descendants of the Sulu Sultanate could bid to seize other Malaysian assets abroad. The parties have already filed a suit to seize Petronas assets in the Netherlands.
On January 24, the District Court of Luxembourg decided to lift or set aside a seizure order on two Petronas subsidiaries and their assets. The seizure order was previously issued last July 11 upon request of the alleged Sulu heirs.
Azalina said six days later that Malaysia is also currently challenging an ex parte Exequatur Order — or a May 18, 2022 order which recognised Stampa’s purported arbitration award in Luxembourg — before the Luxembourg Court of Appeal.
The minister was in Sabah to brief the state’s lawmakers about the suit.