A high-rise fire which hospitalised one person less than a mile from Grenfell Tower is believed to have been started by someone charging their electric scooter, a council leader has said.
Residents were evacuated from the block in Queensdale Crescent, Shepherd’s Bush, west London, as firefighters battled a blaze on Tuesday morning.
Hammersmith and Fulham Borough Labour councillor Stephen Cowan said a male individual was understood to have then poured water on the vehicle when it caught fire causing “billowing smoke”.
Cowan said: “What I’ve been advised is that there was a fire started early in the morning by an electric scooter. They were charging an electric scooter in the flat, it caught fire, the individual had the presence of mind to pull the plug on it, and then he threw water on it.
"That caused billowing smoke. Smoke went everywhere. Automatically the fire alarms kicked in.”
The London Fire Brigade said eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters attended the scene.
Emergency services rushed to the fire shortly before 9.30am, and had it under control by 10.55am.
London Ambulance Service said two ambulances and a Hazardous Area Response Team attended, with one person taken to hospital and two assessed at the scene.
A spokesperson said: "We have dispatched multiple resources to the scene and are treating a number of patients."
London Fire Brigade Station Commander David Bracewell, who was at the scene said: "Firefighters have dealt with a fire on the 12th floor of a tower block in W11.
"Three people from the affected flat left before the Brigade arrived. A number of other residents evacuated the building.
"Firefighters led six residents to safety via an internal staircase. Further residents who were not affected by fire, heat or smoke were advised to remain in their flats.
One person who saw the smoke said seeing it so close to Grenfell Tower, where 72 people lost their lives five years ago, made her feel "physically sick".
The building is just a 15 minute walk from the tower.
Resident Kia Zeka told LBC News that the building had newly installed sprinklers which did not turn on.
She said: “I live on the seventh floor - I saw the fire brigade behind the building from the window and I just ran out.
“No one came to the door, no one told us what as going on...when I came out there were people outside, police and they have stopped now the fire but we can’t go back inside the building yet.”
“It’s quite scary. We have Grenfell just in front of us and it feels like we’re going through the same thing,”
At the time of the fire the London Fire Brigade tweeted: "Eight fire engines and around 60 firefighters and dealing with a fire in a high rise block on Queensdale Crescent in Shepherds Bush. Half of a flat on the 12th floor is alight."
Witness Joanna Foster tweeted: "In West London and saw this and heard sirens.
"Getting closer it seems a different building than the tower is on fire.
"No less horrific for those affected and has made me feel physically sick.
"What must it be like for all those affected by Grenfell who face such trauma daily?"
Anyone who finds the incident upsetting so close to the Grenfell anniversary can reach out for help, the Central and North West London NHS Foundation Trust said.
Those impacted are being advised to contact the Grenfell Health and Wellbeing Service on 0208 637 627.