RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
VIDEO SHOWS: STREET SCENES IN DOWNTOWN LIVERPOOL, PEOPLE SELLING LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB MEMORABILIA / NEWSPAPER HEADLINES / INTERVIEWS WITH LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB FANS / GENERAL VIEWS OF THE ANFIELD STADIUM
SHOWS: LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 26, 2020) (REUTERS - ACCESS ALL)
1. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE WALKING IN STREET
2. PEOPLE BUYING LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB MERCHANDISE FROM STREET SHOPS
3. LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB SCARF
5. STREET SCENE
6. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FAN, ANDY THOMPSON, SAYING:
"It's huge, it is huge you know because we have won European titles here recently. You know, we have won some FA Cups and things like that you know, the Premier League has been the holy grail for us now here for the 30 years. It's been too long for a huge, huge club like Liverpool that's globally known you know, it's it's been too long so to actually get that, hoodoo off our back I think we might push on that one and win a few more hopefully."
7. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FAN, SUE BOWCOCK, SAYING:
"Oh we are very luck he (Juergen Klopp) chose us. So, it just absolutely amazing and I think he well deserves it because he has brought the team and I just I'm just on cloud nine, I just can't believe it and I just hope he stays."
8. SCARF READING (English) "THANK YOU JURGEN"
9. VARIOUS OF LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB MERCHANDISE IN STREET SHOP
10. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FAN, JONATHAN WATES, SAYING:
"He's phenomenal, he's just phenomenal. He came into club, he took over from a manager who had been sacked and in space of what; four and a half years? He's literally built the best team in the world that are the Premier League champions, that are the reigning European champions and the reigning world champions. He can't do any more than that apart from doing it again now. So, not really sure what you can say to that now."
11. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FAN, JIM STEWART, SAYING:
"It's inconceivable that for 30 years they haven't been able to win it when they have won so much in that time but they deserve it. I mean, they have been phenomenal and just congratulations to them. Absolutely phenomenal."
12. STREET SCENES
13. VARIOUS OF BRITISH NEWSPAPERS FROM JUNE 26
14. DAILY MAIL HEADLINE READING (English) "LIVERPOOL TOP OF THE KLOPPS!!"
15. DAILY MIRROR HEADLINE READING (English) "CHAMPIONS"
16. CAPTION ON DAILY MIRROR HEADLINE READING (English) "LIVERPOOL WIN LEAGUE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS" "FANS JOY AS MAN CITY DEFEAT ENDS LONG WAIT"
17. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FAN, SUE BOWCOCK, SAYING:
"I hope that we go back to the waves and win it again next year. It's the Premier League all the time. So, if we can do that again, great."
18. (SOUNDBITE) (English) LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB FAN, ANDY THOMPSON, SAYING:
"It's just a pity we can't have the big parade just yet, but I'm sure it'll come at some stage this year. You know, and when it does, I'll be down there celebrating with the rest of the Klopp heads."
19. DAILY STAR HEADLINE READING (English) "Return of the kings"
20. INSIDE PAGE OF THE DAILY EXPRESS WITH HEADLINE READING (English) "KLOPP'S UNSTOPPABLES"
21. CAPTION ON INSIDE PAGE OF THE DAILY EXPRESS
22. CAPTION ON THE ECHO
23. HEADLINE THE ECHO READING (English) "RED ALERT"
24. VARIOUS OF PERSON USING POWER HOSE OUTSIDE MAIN STAND OF THE ANFIELD STADIUM
25. WOMAN WALKING OUTSIDE THE ANFIELD STADIUM IN T -SHIRT, READING (English) "CHAMPIONS"
26. EXTERIOR OF ANFIELD STADIUM
STORY: Many Liverpool fans woke up still in a state of shock on Friday (June 26) morning as it was still sinking in that their side are Premier League champions for the first time in 30 years.
Fans bought up Liverpool merchandise as they basked in the squad's glory following a night of revelry outside Anfield Stadium.
Liverpool secured the title on Thursday (June 25) after second-placed Manchester City lost 2-1 to Chelsea in London, meaning the Merseyside club could not be caught with a 23-point lead over City with seven games remaining.
In the streets of Liverpool on Friday, fans were singing the praises of Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp who led the side to the historic title.
Liverpool have won some European trophies in recent years, and Klopp led them to a Champions League title last year, but the domestic title had remained the missing piece or the "holy grail," as one fan, Andy Thompson, put it - until now.
Social distancing restrictions on public gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic have postponed plans for a celebratory parade through the city, but fans here didn't seem too worried about that. They are more focused on seeing their side return to the kind of dominance they enjoyed in the 1970s and 80s.
(Production: Gerhard Mey, Gerhard Mey, Kurt Michael Hall)