Leicester respond after Newcastle ‘make £40million bid’ for England playmaker

·2-min read
James Maddison in action for Leicester. Credit: PA Images
James Maddison in action for Leicester. Credit: PA Images

Newcastle have reportedly made a £40million offer to Leicester for England attacking midfielder James Maddison.

John Percy, writing in The Telegraph, says the bid was submitted on Friday and immediately rejected by the Foxes.

Had it been accepted, Maddison would have been the Magpies’ joint-record signing alongside Brazilian midfield maestro Joelinton.

Leicester’s decision to refuse the offer could mean that Brendan Rodgers views Maddison as integral to his plans for the new season starting next week. Or, more likely, the Foxes are simply waiting for Newcastle to return with an improved bid.

Rodgers is the only Premier League manager yet to make a signing this summer and Leicester need to sell before they can buy.

Youri Tielemans was expected to bring in a significant amount but despite interest from Arsenal, no offer has yet been forthcoming. The Gunners could offer Bernd Leno in a part-exchange deal, which would suit Leicester if Kasper Schmeichel joins Nice, but the Foxes still need cash to strengthen in other areas.

Youri Tielemans is no-brainer bargain Arsenal or Manchester United should have signed already

 

Newcastle are still looking to add at least one attacking player having so far been priced out of moves for the likes of Moussa Diaby and Alexander Isak.

After the 1-0 victory over Atalanta in a pre-season friendly at St James’ Park on Friday night, Eddie Howe was asked if it was likely that he would have a new layer through the door before next weekend’s Premier League opener against Nottingham Forest.

“Never say never,” replied the Toon boss. “I’ve been in the game long enough to probably not give you a definite answer on that, but, as the days tick by, it’s looking more and more unlikely.

“But, as I’ve said all window, we’re trying. We’re desperate to try and improve the group if we can with the right player. I’ve no definite answer for you.

“There’s no certainty on anything. You want to get your business done early, but that that rarely happens. And we have to be adaptable, and that’s what we try to be. The most important thing is that we get the right players, not the speed at which we get the players in.

“But, obviously, we’re working hard behind the scenes to try to make that happen.”

“There’s a slight frustration, but not aimed at anyone from our side. There’s frustration, because you want to build your team quickly.”

Howe also refused to comment on reports linking Newcastle with a move for Maxwel Cornet, who has a £17.5million buy-out clause in his Burnley contract.

Newcastle will face Athletic Bilbao in another pre-season friendly at St James’ Park on Saturday afternoon.

 

The article Leicester respond after Newcastle ‘make £40million bid’ for England playmaker appeared first on Football365.com.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting