At Least 6 People Killed, Hundreds More Injured in Second Earthquake in Hatay
Turkish media outlets, citing officials, reported at least six people had been killed and hundreds more injured in the magnitude-6.4 earthquake that struck the already-quake-devastated Hatay province on Monday, February 20.
Footage filmed by journalist Azad (Gokhan) Altay, shows the scale of the destruction “in the Defne district of Hatay, the epicenter of the last major earthquake,” they said, on Wednesday, February 22.
On Tuesday, Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) reported 90 aftershocks followed Monday’s earthquake, the strongest of which was a 5.8-magnitude tremor. On Wednesday, AFAD recorded more than 7,000 aftershocks felt in 11 earthquake-hit southeastern provinces of Turkey over the last two weeks.
The UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on February 20 that Syria’s death toll had risen to 8,476, and AFAD reported a death toll of 42,310 in Turkey on February 22. The combined death toll has surpassed 50,000. Credit: Azad (Gökhan) Altay via Storyful