Advertisement

King 'could miss one month of Royal duties' as he recovers from hospital treatment

King Charles might be out of action for several weeks (POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
King Charles might be out of action for several weeks (POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

King Charles III will not carry out any royal duties for up to one month as he recovers from a medical procedure for an enlarged prostate, according to reports.

Queen Camilla visited her husband again on Sunday as he continues to rest at The London Clinic following the treatment on Friday.

She has shared that the 75-year-old King is “doing well” and it has also been reported that the monarch visited his daughter-in-law the Princess of Wales.

Princess Catherine is also recovering at the same central London hospital after her abdominal surgery last week.

The King is set to check out early next week but what follows could be a "period of recuperation,” according to reports by Sky News.

The report said: “He will be available for state matters while in hospital and is able to attend to red boxes with government papers when he is discharged.”

The King had been staying at the royal Sandringham estate and completing some tasks there ahead of journeying down to London for the medical procedure on Friday.

Prime minister Rishi Sunak wished Charles the "very best" for his treatment and a "speedy recovery" afterwards, a Downing Street spokeswoman said.

The King was diagnosed with the benign condition on January 17 while staying at Birkhall, Aberdeenshire, after going for a check-up because he was experiencing symptoms.

He is understood to have wanted to share the news to encourage other men to get themselves checked.

King Charles, who acceded to throne only 16 months ago, cancelled engagements and was urged to rest by his doctors ahead of the corrective procedure.

The exact nature of his treatment is unknown.