King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer, which was discovered during a prostate procedure, according to Buckingham Palace.
Doctors observed a “separate issue of concern” during the 75-year-old British monarch’s hospital procedure for an enlarged prostate last month, Buckingham Palace said in a statement issued Monday.
“Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the statement said. Further details on Charles’s cancer diagnosis were not provided.
While the king’s doctors advised that he postpone public events while undergoing treatment, Buckingham Palace said, “Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.”
Charles, who ascended the throne last year following the 2022 death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, expressed gratitude to his medical team “for their swift intervention.”
“He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible,” the statement said.
Charles chose to publicly reveal his diagnosis, Buckingham Palace said, “to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
U.K. Prime Minister Rishi Sunak wished Charles a “full and speedy recovery” shortly after the news broke.
“I have no doubt he’ll be back to full strength in no time and I know the whole country will be wishing him well,” Sunak said on social media.
President Biden, asked about Charles during a Monday visit to Las Vegas, said he had just learned of the king’s diagnosis.
“I’m concerned about him,” Biden said.
The president, who reignited his Cancer Moonshot initiative in 2022, added that “God willing” he would speak with Charles soon, according to a White House press pool report.
—Updated at 2:37 p.m.