Kim Jong Un offers to reopen inter-Korean hotline

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says he's willing to restore inter-Korean hotlines next month, in a quote carried by state media KCNA on Thursday.

But he also slammed the United States for proposing talks without changing its quote "hostile" policy towards the country.

North Korea severed the hotlines in early August in protest against joint South Korea-U.S. military drills, just days after reopening them for the first time in a year.

According to KCNA, Kim said reactivating the lines would help "realise the expectations and desire of the entire Korean nation" for recovering cross-border relations, adding that "We have neither aim nor reason to provoke South Korea and no idea to harm it."

Meanwhile, Kim had tougher words for Washington, writing "The U.S. is touting 'diplomatic engagement' and 'dialogue without preconditions' but it is no more than a petty trick for deceiving the international community and hiding its hostile acts."

South Korea's Unification Ministry welcomed Kim's offer on the hotlines, but did not comment on his other remarks.

The U.S. has said it reached out to North Korea to break an impasse over talks aimed at dismantling its nuclear weapons program, in exchange for relief from U.S. sanctions.

Earlier this week, North Korea fired a previously unseen hypersonic missile, rattling the U.S. and its Southern neighbor,

Pyongyang again said it urged Seoul and Washington to drop their quote "double standards" on weapons development.

Diplomats say Western powers have requested a closed-door UN Security Council meeting on Thursday to discuss Pyongyang's latest test.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting