In Kabul, U.S. apology for killing civilians 'not enough'

For many residents in Afghanistan's capital, 'sorry' is not enough.

The United States military apologized on Friday (September 17) for a drone strike last month that killed as many as ten civilians, including seven children.

But in Kabul, resident Taj Mohammed says the U.S. needs to do more.

"First of all, the Americans should not carry out attacks in a residential area, even if there were criminals there, and while they carried out the attack, the problem could not be solved in an apology. They should come and compensate the victims because the Afghan people are in poverty. Thus, a normal apology to those who have been harmed and lost their families is not enough."

The Pentagon had said the August 29 strike was targeting an Islamic State suicide bomber who posed an imminent threat to U.S.-led troops.

That was as they completed the last stages of their withdrawal from Afghanistan.

The U.S. now says the incident was a "tragic mistake".

University lecturer Ahmam Jan said the perpetrators should be punished under international law.

The killing of civilians has raised questions about the future of U.S. counter terrorism strikes in the country.

It has also added further fuel to critics of the chaotic U.S. withdrawal and evacuation of Afghan allies.

The head of U.S. Central Command said the Pentagon was considering reparations.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting