Advertisement

Jeremy Clarkson's Who Wants to be a Millionaire cancelled by ITV

'We have no future commitments'

Jeremy Clarkson's Who Wants to be a Millionaire is set to end. (ITV)
Jeremy Clarkson's Who Wants to be a Millionaire is set to end. (ITV)

Jeremy Clarkson's Who Wants to be a Millionaire has been cancelled by ITV with the broadcaster confirming they have have "no further commitments" with the controversial host.

ITV boss Carolyn McCall said to Variety that they have no plans to produce any further seasons of the show beyond the one already in production.

McCall said: “We have a contract. We’re contracted to this [season], so we will do that. And then we have no future commitments. And we haven’t made any statements about that.”

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 30: Jeremy Clarkson attends the ITV Autumn Entertainment Launch at White City House on August 30, 2022 in London, England. (Photo by Nick England/Getty Images)
Jeremy Clarkson is set to part ways with ITV. (Getty Images)

The move comes just weeks after Clarkson admitted ITV were "incandescant" with him over his controversial remarks about Meghan Markle in his column in The Sun.

McCall also reiterated ITV's opposition to Clarkson's since removed column in which he fantasised about Markle being stripped naked and pelted with excrement.

Read more: ITV boss says Jeremy Clarkson's Meghan Markle remarks have 'no place' on the channel

She said: "We came out much quicker than anybody else, Amazon included. We just came out said, ‘Yes, we do not endorse a single word that he said on that. And there’s no place for that on ITV."

The broadcaster's director of television Kevin Lygo had previously called Clarkson's comments "awful".

Clarkson has twice apologised for his column, in which he said he "hated" Markle and compared the former actor negatively to serial killer Rose West.

Jeremy Clarkson says some of his neighbours still 'hate' him. (Prime Video)
Jeremy Clarkson has already been axed by Amazon. (Prime Video)

In January, Clarkson published a lengthy apology in which he said he had contacted Markle and Prince Harry directly to say sorry. The former Top Gear host has since deleted the apology from his Instagram account.

It has also been reported that Amazon are set to part ways with the presenter once all existing commitments have been fulfilled.

Clarkson currently hosts two of Amazon's most popular shows in The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm but have no plans to commission any more of either after their next seasons.

Watch below: Press regulator launches probe into Jeremy Clarkson's article about Meghan Markle.