Jay Slater: Investigation into disappearance continues, insists Tenerife mayor

A mayor in Tenerife has insisted police are continuing to investigate several lines of inquiry and defended the decision to call off the search for missing British teenager Jay Slater.

"The investigation that the Civil Guard is carrying out in this case has several lines of inquiry open," local Mayor Emilio Navarro told Sky News.

"It's not that the search has stopped. Maybe, yes, in the territory, the field search, but other lines are open."

The Civil Guard announced on Sunday their search of the mountainous area in northern Tenerife where Jay was last seen had ended.

It was less than two weeks after the teenager had been reported missing.

Read more:
Five key questions over Jay Slater's disappearance

The Rural de Teno national park had been the focus of the hunt for Jay after he'd travelled to a nearby village with two British men after a night out.

His phone was last located in the area the following morning, on Monday 17 June. He'd called a friend to say his mobile was about to run out of battery.

Mr Navarro, who is mayor of Santiago Del Teide, defended the police against accusations the search was halted too soon, telling Sky News "a magnificent job has been done by the Civil Guard".

"Until last week, many resources were allocated to the search," he added.

He also denied the search had been hampered by online conspiracy theories about the disappearance of the teen from Lancashire.

"I believe that in this case the Civil Guard is very professional and they do not deviate from the investigation and what they have is quite clear and verified," Mr Navarro insisted.

Jay's family, who have travelled out to Tenerife, intend to stay and are waiting to hear what authorities plan to do now the active search has ended.

The Civil Guard has provided scant information on their enquiries.

Read more:
Friend says he saw Jay Slater slipping down hill
Family wants to take money from GoFundMe

However, they did confirm they do not consider the two British men whom Jay stayed with on the night before he went missing were relevant to the investigation.

British climber and social media personality Paul Arnott was once again searching the mountainous terrain on Monday.

He has vowed to continue and has called the final police search on Saturday - which included a call for volunteers to join professionals - a "PR stunt".

However, police have said although the active search phase has ended the investigation into the disappearance continues.