Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood could be given a ‘fresh chance’ at international level by Jamaica if his England career is over, according to reports.
Man Utd announced on Monday that Greenwood will leave the club by mutual agreement, with the forward suspended since January 2022 over allegations relating to a young woman after images and videos were posted online.
Charges against the 21-year-old England international including attempted rape and assault were discontinued by the Crown Prosecution Service in February this year, leading to Man Utd conducting an internal probe into the matter.
Greenwood is now on the lookout for a new club before he can even entertain the idea of getting back into international football – but the Daily Mail claim there’s still ‘an interest in him’ from Jamaica if England turn their back on him.
The Daily Mail report:
‘But if – and it’s a big if – Greenwood can get his playing career back on track while also proving he is rehabilitated, then he could have an international career ahead of him.
‘Whether that’s with England remains to be seen. There is an interest in him from Jamaica, for whom Greenwood is eligible. Despite having played a competitive fixture for England, FIFA rules allow the forward to switch to Jamaica from next month.’
It was reported last week that chief executive Richard Arnold told the club’s executive leadership in early August that Man Utd were planning to bring Greenwood back.
That story and further information led increased pressure on the club, with Arnold publishing a public letter to supporters upon the conclusion of their in-house investigation.
And Sky Sports reporter Melissa Reddy has been told that the “initial intention was to welcome the forward back” despite the Red Devils claiming they never reached a “final conclusion” on that.
Reddy wrote on the Sky Sports website: “United’s final outcome was, Sky Sports News has been told, not the original plan, nor the one the club’s football operations had wanted for a forward whose value was in excess of £100m at the time of his arrest last year.
“The club insist welcoming the academy graduate back to Carrington was one of various scenarios modelled and had not been their final conclusion at any point, but high-placed sources dispute this.
“Several club employees have claimed the initial intention was to welcome the forward back to the fold, hence the need to explain the thinking to key stakeholders – including the women’s team – before it was made public.”
Later in her piece, Reddy adds: “Staff at United, across divisions, have been candid in saying that if Greenwood was an average player, he would have been discarded from the moment he was suspended. The club flag their duty of care to him.
“It is claimed United were originally prepared to lose sponsors, a heap of other commercial income, and endure pushback to serve results on the pitch.
“That was until they witnessed the real scale of opposition to that decision.”
The article Jamaica could give Greenwood ‘fresh chance’ as ‘original Man Utd plan’ is revealed appeared first on Football365.com.