At least 43 people have died after a migrant boat wrecked near the coast of Steccato di Cutro, Italy, early on Sunday morning, February 26, the Italian coast guard said.
The Guardia Costiera said on Sunday that 80 people had been pulled from the water alive, in addition to the 43 who had died.
The search for passengers was ongoing, the Coast Guard added.
At least 200 people were on board the boat when it wrecked, according to Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni, who issued a statement on Sunday.
According to a local media report citing the Guardia di Finanza, the boat was spotted on Saturday by the European Border and Coast Guard Agency, also known as Frontex, but a rescue was not possible at the time due to rough sea conditions. Credit: Guardia Costiera via Storyful