VIDEO SHOWS: BARCELONA TRAINING / NEWS CONFERENCE WITH BARCELONA COACH RONALD KOEMAN WITH SOUNDBITES ON ANTOINE GRIEZMANN, LIONEL MESSI, AND PLAYERS RETURNING FROM INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION
RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SHOTLIST AND SCRIPT
SHOWS: BARCELONA, SPAIN (OCTOBER 16. 2020) (BARCA TV - MUST NOT OBSCURE LOGO)
1. BARCELONA SQUAD WALKING ON TO TRAINING PITCH
2. MORE OF SQUAD WALKING ONTO PITCH
3. SQUAD, LED BY MIDFIELDER, SERGIO BUSQUETS (FRONT OF LINE) AND DEFENDER, GERARD PIQUE (CENTRE) WARMING UP / MIDFIELDER, MIRALEM PJANIC, JOGGING BACK TO LINE
4. SQUAD WARMING UP DURING TRAINING SESSION
5. FORWARD, ANTOINE GRIEZMANN (ORANGE SHOES), DURING WARMUP / DEFENDER, SERGINO DEST, AND OTHER TEAM MATES ALSO WARMING UP
6. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH, RONALD KOEMAN, ON GRIEZMANN, SAYING:
"Everyone has the right to say things and we know these kinds of things happen. I was speaking with Antoine yesterday afternoon and not because of what he said. We spoke about his position, and his performance as a player. I very easily told him that I am looking for what is best for the team. If I think his position is more moving down the right wing then so be it, because he doesn't play in a group, he plays more from the outside, and he can play 10 or he can play 9. These are three positions that he can play. And at the end of the day, I make the decision for whatever is best for the team. And after that, each player has to give their best to play the matches. And that's it."
7. GRIEZMANN AND TEAM MATES WARMING UP
8. SQUAD WARMING UP
9. FORWARD, LIONEL MESSI, WARMING UP
10. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH, RONALD KOEMAN, ON MESSI, SAYING:
"I think so, because it always depends on the player. And with Leo (Messi) and with the others who travelled, I'm speaking specifically about how they are - if they're tired. And then we will decide what the lineup will be for tomorrow. But Leo has spent many years playing a tight schedule. He's played more matches in Bolivia, he's played more matches with the Argentine national squad and furthermore, Leo is the kind of player who, if he doesn't play, then he feels even more tired. So, I think he is a winning player who wants to play. If there is a medical issue, that's different. So, the decision is always mine at the end, but obviously, I want to speak with the players to see how they are physically."
11. SQUAD WARMING UP
12. FORWARD, ANSU FATI, DURING THE WARMUP
13. MIDFIELDER, FRENKIE DE JONG, DURING WARMUP
14. GRIEZMANN DURING WARMUP
15. GOALKEEPERS WARMING UP AND STRETCHING
16. GOALKEEPERS, MARC-ANDRE TER STEGEN AND NETO, STRETCHING
17. GOALKEEPER, ARANAU TENAS, KICKING BALLS
18. MIDFIELDER, PHILIPPE COUTINHO, DURING TRAINING
19. VARIOUS OF PLAYERS DOING A TRAINING DRILL KNOWN AS A RONDO
20. KOEMAN CARRYING BIBS ON PRACTICE PITCH
21. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BARCELONA COACH, RONALD KOEMAN, ON INTERNATIONAL PLAYERS, SAYING:
"To begin with, we want to pick our best team in every game so we can win. And we know that with the national teams, there are always players who are tired in the big teams because the big teams always have a lot of players who have been away for 10 days. Everyone has returned feeling happy and motivated. And this afternoon we have our last training session and after that we will decide what the lineup will be for tomorrow."
22. MESSI DURING RONDO
23. PJANIC DURING RONDO
24. PLAYERS DOING RONDO
25. TRAINING IN PROGRESS
SHOWS: Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman has said that he will continue to play Antoine Griezmann in the best possible role for the team rather than the one the forward prefers.
Griezmann, who has failed to score for Barca this term, appeared to send a message to Koeman after scoring in France's 2-1 win over Croatia on Wednesday (October 14), remarking that national side manager Didier Deschamps knew how to get the best out of him.
The Frenchman was playing as a deep-lying forward behind Kylian Mbappe and Anthony Martial but has been operating down the right wing for Barca this season, with Lionel Messi playing centrally and Philippe Coutinho as the deep-lying playmaker.
"Everyone has the right to say things but the coach is in charge and the player has to perform his best," Koeman told a news conference ahead of Barca's visit to Getafe in La Liga on Saturday (October 17).
Griezmann was Atletico Madrid's talisman for five years before joining Barca for 120 million euros in 2019 but has largely struggled to shine in the same team as Messi, scoring only nine league goals last season.
Former boss Ernesto Valverde could not get the best out of him, while successor Quique Setien also struggled to find the forward's best role and left him on the bench for a crucial game against Atletico last season, bringing him on in added time.
Koeman also said he was willing to start Messi against Getafe despite his captain recently returning from the other side of the world after helping Argentina to a 2-1 win away to Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier on Tuesday (October 13).
"Leo has spent many years playing in a tight schedule, and if he doesn't play then he feels even more tired," Koeman added.
(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)