Idris Elba has passed coronavirus quarantine period but is still "stuck in limbo"

Christian Tobin, Joe Anderton
Photo credit: Karwai Tang/WireImage - Getty Images

From Digital Spy

Update: Idris Elba has shared another update on his condition, telling fans that his period of coronavirus quarantine has now passed and he is "doing okay".

Last month, the Luther star and his wife Sabrina Dhowre Elba tested positive for COVID-19 but they have not experienced any severe symptoms.

Idris has now explained in a video on Twitter that despite the quarantine being over, the pair are still "stuck in limbo" as they can't fly back to London from where they currently are in New Mexico.

"We're both doing okay, still asymptomatic," he said.

"We've passed the quarantine period but we're a little bit stuck in limbo. We can't get a flight back home so we just have to sit still for a little bit, but other than that we're okay and we're so thankful that the worst of this has probably passed."

He went on to pay tribute to the "amazing" doctors, nurses and health carers during the pandemic, and thanked all those who had sent the couple well-wishes.

Original story: Idris Elba was one of the first celebrities to reveal that he had tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), and he has now issued an update on his condition.

The Thor actor told fans on social media that while he and wife Sabrina Dhowre Elba are still in quarantine, he feels okay and has not experienced any severe symptoms.

"Hoping everyone is coping with this $@@," he wrote on Twitter last night (March 25). "Currently still quarantine.. Sab and I still feel ok so far with no changes.

Photo credit: Netflix

"Dr told us that after quarantine we will be immune for a certain time since our antibodies fought this. At some point we'd like to go home to London. Bsafe."

One fan went on to ask: "Have you felt sick at all? Like any symptoms at all?" Idris replied: "No not really. .. the day I got tested I had body aches and a headache."

Last week, the 47-year-old hit back at false reports claiming that he was in intensive care.

He told one Twitter follower that the stories were "not true", while he replied to another saying: "This is fake. I'm fine for now. Thanks for showing me," in reference to a false video circulating the claims.

Related: All the celebrities who are in self-isolation so far because of coronavirus

The actor explained to another fan what symptoms he actually showed, stating: "I really didn't have poorly days... I had a headache and body aches on the day I tested but that's been it."

Elsewhere last week, the actor spoke out against rumours that black people couldn't get coronavirus, stating on Periscope: "There are so many stupid, ridiculous conspiracy theories about black people not being able to get it. That is the quickest way to get more black people killed."

The information in this story is accurate as of the publication date. While we are attempting to keep our content as up-to-date as possible, the situation surrounding the coronavirus pandemic continues to develop rapidly, so it's possible that some information and recommendations may have changed since publishing. For any concerns and latest advice, visit the World Health Organisation. If you're in the UK, the National Health Service can also provide useful information and support, while US users can contact the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Digital Spy now has a newsletter – sign up to get it sent straight to your inbox.

Want up-to-the-minute entertainment news and features? Just hit 'Like' on our Digital Spy Facebook page and 'Follow' on our @digitalspy Instagram and Twitter accounts.

You Might Also Like