Eddie Howe has spoken on Newcastle United’s interest in Real Sociedad striker Alexander Isak, while David Ornstein is reporting that the deal is now done.
The Sweden international was on Tyneside on Friday as all parties looked to finalise the forward’s move to Newcastle United.
Asked about the state of play, Howe said: “It’s not completed. We hope to get it done.”
Asked further if Isak could be signed in time to play at Wolves on Sunday, he added: “Yes, fingers crossed. There’s no guarantee with these things because we’re in other people’s hands, but hopefully.”
Newcastle have been in the market for attacking reinforcements all summer, but Howe admitted the quest had become more urgent in the wake of the hamstring injury which is likely to sideline Callum Wilson for several weeks.
He said: “Naturally with Callum’s injury – which we don’t believe to be serious, by the way, we’re hopeful that Callum will only be out for a couple of weeks – but naturally we reacted slightly off that in terms of we were always looking for an attacking player, but it changed our focus maybe slightly on the type.
“But we’re delighted to hopefully sign Alex, who will be a big player for us.”
Ornstein has gone further than Howe on Friday morning, reporting that Isak has ‘signed’ a six-year deal that is worth £60m.
Paperwork is being ‘finalised’ in the hope that Isak will be able to feature for the Magpies this weekend.
This transfer would be Newcastle’s new record transfer after they previously spent £40m on Bruno Guimaraes and Joelinton.
Ex-Premier League attacker Paul Merson thinks the signing is a “big statement”:
“Newcastle have made a big statement with Alexander Isak’s signing. He hasn’t played in the Premier League,” Merson told Sportskeeda.
“I haven’t seen the big clubs going after him, and it’s a lot of money. I haven’t seen Barcelona or Real Madrid going in for him either and they would’ve seen plenty of him in La Liga. That’s a worrying sign.
“Then again, the same would’ve been said about Bruno Guimaraes. Newcastle have hopefully got it right again with Isak. I’m not saying he won’t be a gem of a player, but will he still be a gem?”
The article Howe: £60m Isak-Newcastle deal ‘isn’t completed’; Ornstein reports striker has ‘signed’ six-year deal appeared first on Football365.com.