KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 28 — Selangor DAP chairman Gobind Singh Deo said today that Charles Santiago knew he would not be standing for re-election in Klang during the coming general election (GE15).
In a brief statement, Gobind said that he told the incumbent Klang MP in 2018, when the latter had sought his support for his candidature, that the 14th general election (GE14) would be his last run for the constituency.
“It was clear then that there were calls for him to be replaced. I supported him nevertheless and he was given the opportunity to carry on.
“In 2018, I did say to him that it would be difficult for him to carry on after that and that 2018 would be the last,” Gobind said.
He added that the calls for Charles to be replaced had reached his ears as early as 2013 but he continued to give Charles his backing.
“It is a fact that there have been calls for his replacement and he is well aware of this and the reasons for it.
“This was also again made known to him in my office last week and discussed between us,” he said, adding that Charles had been magnanimous about the matter but was incorrect in labelling his actions as an “afterthought”.
Charles, who had served as the MP of Klang since winning the seat in 2008, had claimed earlier today that DAP had never informed him that 2018 would have been the last time he would be fielded as a candidate.
He called the narrative produced by DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke and Gobind an “afterthought” manufactured to mitigate the backlash caused in response to the news of Charles being replaced as the candidate for Klang in the 15th general election (GE15).
On Wednesday, Loke confirmed that Charles would be replaced by V. Ganabatirau, who is the current Selangor exco for social welfare and employee empowerment.
Prior to the announcement of Charles’ replacement, rumours that he would be dropped had already been spreading, prompting some non-governmental groups and supporters to launch a campaign advocating for him to be retained.