Glastonbury 2021 is unlikely to go ahead as its founder Michael Eavis conceded that plans to postpone the festival until next year are "wishful thinking".
The coronavirus pandemic had forced organisers to cancel hosting the event in June.
Stars including Sir Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar had been set to headline the Pyramid Stage this year to celebrate the festival's landmark fiftieth anniversary.
Although he is "moving heaven and earth" to ensure it will take place next year, Mr Eavis said its prospects remain uncertain.
🗣: "I'm still hoping we're gonna run next year. We're moving heaven and earth to make sure we do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen." 🏕— ITV News West Country (@itvwestcountry) August 4, 2020
Founder of @glastonbury festival Michael Eavis speaks about his hopes for 2021 🙏https://t.co/HMaWooK5AI pic.twitter.com/nK20Vp64Bj
He told ITV news: "500 people is OK, isn't it? But my job, 250,000 altogether, is too many people I suppose really.
"I'm still hoping I'm going to run next year. We're moving heaven and earth to make sure that we do, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's going to happen, that's just wishful thinking."
When asked about concerns for the festival's future, he said: "No, I do not worry at all, I am so confident that it will survive.
"The only certainty I think is the year after, 2022. To be perfectly candid, so we might have to wait for two years maybe.
"But I am still hoping and we are fighting and working at it all the time to make sure it happens next year."
He also said he believes the world of the performing arts will come back stronger after the crisis, saying: "Of course it will. My god, yeah. You can't kill it off just like that. It will come back.
"It will come back, probably stronger actually."