RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
VIDEO SHOWS: HIGHLIGHTS OF THE GREAT ETHIOPIAN RUN - A 10-KILOMETRE RACE IN ADDIS ABABA
SHOWS: ADDIS ABABA, ETHIOPIA (JANUARY 10, 2021) (ICARUS SPORTS - ACCESS ALL)
1. DRONE SHOT OF CITY
2. DRUMMERS AT PARTY AHEAD OF RACE
3. SIGN, READING: "20 TOGETHER"
4. DRONE FOOTAGE OF RUNNERS AT START OF MASS RACE
5. DRONE FOOTAGE OF MASS RACE
6. VARIOUS OF ELITE MEN'S RACE (TWO SHOTS)
7. THE EVENTUAL RACE WINNER, ABE GASHAW (NUMBER 185) AT THE FRONT OF THE GROUP
8. GASHAW (CENTRE) HOLDING CHEQUE WHILE STANDING ON PODIUM WITH SECOND-PLACED, TADESE WORKU AND THIRD-PLACED, MILESA MENGESHA
9. (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREAT ETHIOPIAN RUN MEN'S WINNER, ABE GASHAW, SAYING:
"I'm happy. With the competition I'm happy and the competition was hard. Training was hard and the competition is good."
10. START OF ELITE WOMEN'S RACE
11. TSIGE GEBRSELAMA (NUMBER 216), MEDHIN GEBRESLASSIE (NUMBER 202) AND GEBAYANESH AYELE (NUMBER 219) RUNNING
12. GEBRSELAMA WINNING THE ELITE WOMEN'S RACE
13. GEBRSELAMA HOLDING CHEQUE WHILE STANDING ON PODIUM WITH GEBRESLASSIE AND AYELE
14. VARIOUS OF MASS RACE (FIVE SHOTS)
15. PEOPLE DANCING IN STREET
16. PEOPLE DANCING IN STREET WHILE BEING SPRAYED WITH WATER
17. PEOPLE AT THE FINISH LINE
STORY: Abe Gashaw and Tsige Gebrselama won the men's and women's elite races respectively at the Great Ethiopian Run on Sunday (January 10).
The 10-kilometre race was postponed last year due to COVID-19 and only 9,000 people took part in the mass race, which is more than 30,000 fewer than the last edition in 2019.
For Gashaw, 22, it was his second victory in the event having also won it in 2016. He finished in a time of 28 minutes 19 seconds, one second ahead of his friend and training partner, Tadesse Worku.
Gebrselama, also 22, claimed her maiden victory in the women's race having narrowly missed out two years ago.
There were several COVID-19 safety measures in place. The 9,000 participants in the mass race started in three waves, setting off at 15-minute intervals and everyone had their temperatures checked when arriving at the event. Everyone also had to wear masks before and after the 10k run.
For the elite races, 210 athletes were tested for COVID on Friday (January 8).
(Production: Tim Hart)