Established by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1932, the School of Architecture at Taliesin will soon be no more...at least as it was. The institution will be changing its name and moving its campuses.
News of the move, which was first reported by The Architect's Newspaper, follows the school's near-shutdown earlier this year. After the School of Architecture at Taliesin couldn’t reach a financial agreement with the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, it announced in late January that it would close. But in March, it reversed its decision after an outpouring of public, student, and alumni support. Now, the college has split with foundation, so any association with foundation will have to be formally removed by July 31.
The split means the college won't be able to use the Frank Lloyd Wright or Taliesin names. This is the second time the college has been required to change its name. Originally named the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture, it was renamed in 2017 as part of a partial break from the foundation.
Since the foundation owns and operates the Taliesin campuses (West in Arizona and East in Wisconsin), the college is using two new sites, Cosanti and Arcosanti, as bases for its online summer classes. Late Italian architect Paolo Soleri, who studied under Frank Lloyd Wright at Taliesin West, designed Cosanti and Arcosanti. The Cosanti Foundation owns both sites, which are located in Arizona. Cosanti is just a few miles away from Taliesin West. The college plans on making Cosanti, Soleri's former studio and residence, its permanent main campus, according to Dezeen. It will use Arcosanti, an experimental town, as an additional site.
So what will happen to the Taliesin campuses? According to the AN, Frank Lloyd Wright's will requires the foundation to offer education at both the campuses, so it remains to be seen what the Foundation will do to continue that.
Follow House Beautiful on Instagram.
You Might Also Like