The Volusia Sheriff’s Office said two 12-year-old boys were facing charges after a witness reported that a gun was pointed at their car in Oak Hill, Florida, on July 11.
In a Facebook post, the sheriff’s office said a sergeant responded to a report of two boys playing with a gun in a vacant building. The person who made the report said they heard a gunshot and, when they went to investigate, they said one of the boys pointed a gun at their car.
Bodycam footage shows the sergeant arriving at the scene, and detaining the two boys. The sergeant then finds bullet casings on the ground and a loaded handgun.
The sheriff’s office said the boys were charged with discharging a firearm and possession of a firearm by a person under 16. The boy who allegedly pointed the gun at the car was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm. “Both were transported to the Department of Juvenile Justice and taken in for secure detention,” the sheriff’s department said. The source of the weapon was under investigation. Credit: Volusia Sheriff’s Office via Storyful
- 911, where's your emergency?
- Yes, ma'am. We're at Brooks Circle and US-1. It was those two little kids and as we were driving past the property, the little kids were standing out in the field. It appeared that he had a handgun and he was pointing it at our car as we were driving by.
- Put your hands up! Stop running right now! I'll send a dog to you. Put your hands up! Come out to me right now.
- [INAUDIBLE], ma'am. We were shooting a gun. [INAUDIBLE]
- Get out here now!
- [INAUDIBLE] We were shooting--
- [INAUDIBLE] draw out with two with a gun.
- It was-- OK, just don't lie [INAUDIBLE]
- Don't lie to me. Let me see your hands. Stop right there!
- It was a real gun. We were shooting it over here.
- Someone said we were allowed to.
- How old are you?
- We are both 12.
- Keep your hands where I can see them. You drop them, bad things are going to happen. Do you understand me?
- Yes, ma'am.
- What the hell are you doing out here? Is this your property?
- No ma'am.
- No ma'am.
- Where's the gun?
- I have no idea.
- I saw you with it in your hand. What do you mean?
- Lying to me is not a good deal, dude.
- Can you take me home?
- No. I can't.
- [INAUDIBLE] respect you.
- Put your hands behind your back.
- Am I under arrest?
- I'm securing you for my safety and yours right now. [SIGHS] Well, at least I got a tetanus shot recently. So, it's got to be around in here somewhere.
- Three, four.
- Maybe I should start yoga.
- We've got some in the chamber. One in the chamber, one in the-- ready to go. Fabulous.
- All right, head back out.