Rocky Balboa came from humble beginnings, both figuratively and literally. Sylvester Stallone was a struggling actor when he wrote the screenplay for the film “Rocky” in three and a half days; it was shot on a budget of just over $1 million. The ultimate underdog story went on to be just that in real life; “Rocky” made Stallone a star, won three Academy Awards including best picture of the year and spawned a series of eight films totaling over $1.7 billion at the box office.
The documentary “40 Years of Rocky: The Birth of a Classic” from writer-director Derek Wayne Johnson arrives June 9 on digital platforms, detailing the making of the film and its legacy. Utilizing home movies and footage, the film is narrated by none other than Stallone himself. In honor of the film’s release and one of cinema’s greatest stories, we pored over all eight of the movies, through 2018’s “Creed II,” to pick our favorite scene from each one.
More from Variety
- Michael B. Jordan Demands Hollywood Invests in Black Hiring and Storytelling
- 'Fantastic Four' Director Pitched a Black Sue Storm, but Got 'Heavy Pushback'
- Film News Roundup: Sylvester Stallone Documentary '40 Years of Rocky' to Premiere Digitally
Best of Variety
- The Best Movies on Netflix
- Everything Coming to Netflix in June
- What's Coming to Disney Plus in June 2020