A family camping at a natural reserve in Kgalagadi, Botswana, knew that a close encounter with wildlife was possible, but did not expect a lion to come heart-stoppingly near them.
In this incredible video, recorded on May 8, the big cat can be seen calmly strolling through the campsite and sniffing around the dinner table. As it eventually leaves the scene, the camera turns to a family, sitting perfectly still and silent a few feet away.
One of the campers told Storyful that the family had agreed before setting up their stuff that should they have such an encounter, they would “not go running, as it would encourage most wildlife to chase.”
The recorder of the video, who said that the trip into Kgalagadi had been a once-in-a-lifetime experience, told Storyful that the video should serve as a warning to all who visit the park.
“Lions come into the camps unannounced and in total silence as it happened to us,” she said. “If anyone panics and runs or makes sudden movements, the chances are high that they may be attacked.”
She said that being in such surroundings was a privilege, but that there was “no room for error.” Credit: Anonymous via Storyful
- I just-- I [INAUDIBLE] Go around.
- Put your feet on the concrete. Put your feet in the concrete.
- Use a slug. If it comes, Kevin and I are going to use the slug.
- Thank you.
- Just watch your luck. Kev and I will pick it up, and try it [INAUDIBLE].
- What should I do?
- Nothing. Just stay still. Stay still.
- Maybe-- this--
- The pack is gone.
- Oh, my God. It's dead.
- He's fine. He's all right. [INAUDIBLE]. You will hit that taser once, and that thing will go away.
- What'd you say?
- Man, start the vehicle.
- I don't know. Shh.
- Shh. Shh.
- Let's not. You don't want it to hear you talk.
- Oh, oh.
- It's royal.