Dr Mahathir: GTA not fielding Hamid Bador as GE15 candidate, ex-IGP ‘not ready’

Malay Mail
Malay Mail

BANGI, Nov 2 — Gerakan Tanah Air (GTA) chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has today stamped out the rumour of Tan Sri Abdul Hamid Bador contesting under the coalition’s banner for the upcoming general election (GE15).

In a press conference after announcing the coalition’s candidates, Dr Mahathir said the former inspector-general of police (IGP) is not ready to be fielded as a candidate for Rembau.

“He will not contest because he’s not ready,” he said.

Previously, it was reported that Abdul Hamid would contest under GTA for Rembau parliamentary seat, which will see the former top police go against Umno deputy president Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan.

Pejuang president Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir previously mentioned that Abdul Hamid could potentially be a “giant killer” if the latter decided to contest in the GE15.

Abdul Hamid served as the 12th IGP from May 2019 before retiring in May 2021.