Human Resources Minister M Saravanan has warned employment agencies against making false statements with regards to placements of new foreign domestic helpers here.
Saravanan in a statement reminded agents and employers that no new arrivals will be allowed until Dec 31 for all foreign workers including domestic helpers.
“Any decision on bringing in migrant workers including domestic helpers will be formally announced by the government after discussions with the National Security Council, our ministry, Home Ministry, Health Ministry and other related parties.
“I urge and advise all licensed private employment agencies to not make any statements or advertisements that could mislead employers on arrivals of domestic helpers from source countries,” said Saravanan.
Of 92,481 domestic helpers formally employed here, Saravanan said Indonesians comprise the largest number with 64,181, followed by Filipinos and others.
In March, the government announced that domestic helpers who are already employed here but were “stranded” in their hometowns due to Covid-19 travel restrictions will be allowed to enter the country.
Saravanan, who was retained in his ministry by Prime Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob, said negotiations initiated during the previous PN administration with Indonesia to finalise new terms for recruitment of Indonesian domestic helpers are still ongoing.
Malaysia and Indonesia last signed a formal MOU on recruitment and placement of Indonesian domestic helpers here in 2011, with revised terms to an initial agreement reached in Bali, Indonesia, in 2006.
Saravanan previously confirmed that the terms of the agreement had “expired” on May 30, 2016.
The Indonesian government, meanwhile, has promised better protection of its citizens working as domestic helpers here through a requirement for Malaysian employers to offer social security protection.