Cristiano Ronaldo: Surprise return gathers pace amid claims Man Utd legend was ‘tricked’ into Saudi Arabia move
Cristiano Ronaldo is almost certain to quit Al-Nassr at the first available opportunity, according to reports – and Barcelona legend Rivaldo is urging the player to return to the club where he has enjoyed his football the most.
The Portuguese superstar secured a blockbuster move to Saudi Arabia in January, signing a deal worth an incredible €200m a year. That move came about after an explosive TV interview with Piers Morgan saw Manchester United left with no choice but to tear up his contract.
But the 38-year-old’s lucrative move to the Middle East has also very quickly turned sour.
When he signed for Al-Nassr, they were top of the Saudi Pro League and well placed for the title.
However, they now sit three points adrift of league leaders Al-Ittihad – and the situation could have been worse had the leaders not lost their game in hand on Thursday.
And while Ronaldo has netted 12 goals in 15 games for his new club, his arrival has seen a decline in fortunes for the Riyad club.
Having also been eliminated from the Saudi Arabian Cup, Al-Nassr now face the prospect of finishing the season empty handed.
As a result, reports earlier this week claimed Ronaldo has ‘decided to leave’ Saudi Arabia with the player and his family failing to settle in the region.
Quite where the player ends up playing next remains anyone’s guess.
At 38, it remains to be seen quite how many years Ronaldo has left at the top.
However, according to reports in Spain, Ronaldo is targeting a shock return to Real Madrid this summer.
READ MORE ~ Transfer Gossip: President tells Man Utd that 27-goal striker is ‘not moving’
Rivaldo tells Ronaldo to make return to Real Madrid
Their president Florentino Perez still holds the veteran star in high regards. As such, repoirts claim he will look to finance Ronaldo’s return if the opportunity arises.
And with Lionel Messi also reportedly heading back to Barcelona, LaLiga could be about to welcome back two of their most famous imports.
Now Barcelona legend Rivaldo is urging Ronaldo to make his return to the Bernabeu official.
Furthermore, he claims Ronaldo only saw dollar signs when moving to the Gulf State. However, as the Brazil legend says to AS, money is not everything.
“I understand that sometimes the players are tricked by the big contract they sign in Saudi Arabia,” Rivaldo said. “But then life there is further away and your football may not always be as easy as expected.
“So, he may be going through a phase of some disappointment and even reflection. So maybe the money he is receiving makes up for the not so happy life he is living.”
Messi himself is also reportedly on the radar of a Saudi Arabian side in Al-Hilal. However, Rivaldo is adamant that top players today must look beyond their wallets.
“This happens to all players and Messi himself will soon see this,” he said.
Turning attention back towards Ronaldo, he insists a return to Real would be welcomed by the football world.
“It would be good for him and for football to see Cristiano Ronaldo return to Real Madrid to finish his career.
“Of course, the fans have to understand that they cannot demand the same from him as he did when he was 25 or 26 years old, but he can still help the club in more achievements.”
READ MORE: Twenty-six former Premier League players who are currently free agents including a Man Utd academy graduate
The article Cristiano Ronaldo: Surprise return gathers pace amid claims Man Utd legend was ‘tricked’ into Saudi Arabia move appeared first on Teamtalk.com.