Cristiano Ronaldo: New destination presented for Man Utd attacker as ‘compelling proposition’ outlined by CEO

Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United during the UEFA Europa League, Group E football match between Real Sociedad and Manchester United on November 3, 2022 at Reale Arena in San Sebastian Credit: Alamy
Cristiano Ronaldo of Manchester United during the UEFA Europa League, Group E football match between Real Sociedad and Manchester United on November 3, 2022 at Reale Arena in San Sebastian Credit: Alamy

Manchester United attacker Cristiano Ronaldo has been told he could continue his career in Australia by A-League CEO Danny Townsend.

Ronaldo’s future at Manchester United does not look good after he criticised several things about the club in an interview with Piers Morgan this week. He has ruled out having any respect for manager Erik ten Hag and has also taken aim at some of his former teammates.

There had already been a feeling that Ronaldo would be looking at possible escape routes from Man Utd. However, he was unable to find a new club in the summer, when he wanted to leave due to a lack of Champions League qualification.

Now, his current club will be considering their options as he approaches the final six months of his contract. The idea of a departure after the World Cup is formulating.

A few of the main contenders for Ronaldo’s signature have already backed away from signing him. Napoli do not want to disrupt their positive momentum this season; Paris Saint-Germain might want to focus on younger investments; Newcastle are still being patient with their growth and even Sporting CP have denied speaking about bringing Ronaldo back.

Hence, the 37-year-old is still struggling to find someone willing to take him on. He might have to leave Europe behind altogether in order to continue his career.

For example, there have been links with a move to the MLS, where David Beckham’s Inter Miami are said to have made contact to take Ronaldo to the USA.

Alternatively, something could materialise in the southern hemisphere. Indeed, the chief executive of the Australian A-League has now outlined the “compelling proposition” Ronaldo could receive from a club within his competition.

A-League register interest in Cristiano Ronaldo

Danny Townsend told News Corp Australia: “He (Ronaldo) said he wasn’t getting any love and respect at Manchester United but we’ll certainly give him plenty of love and respect in Australia.

“We might not be able to compete financially with other offers but we can compete in other ways.”

The CEO had already told SportsFM 91.3: “Obviously it’s a long shot but we’ve certainly got a compelling proposition for him here in Australia to consider.

“We’re in dialogue, and we’ll see where that goes.”

In that interview, Townsend revealed they have “registered our interest in bringing him to Australia,” indicating there might have been contact with his representatives.

Ronaldo surely still hoping for European stay

It remains to be seen exactly which A-League club would be able to take Ronaldo.

Reports have noted one connection – ex-teammate Nani is currently playing for Melbourne Victory, but it is unclear if they could accommodate both the Portuguese forwards.

Ronaldo will no doubt be considering all his options, but might be eager to prove he can still be a positive influence at a top European club.

After all, he was Man Utd’s top scorer last season, so still has what it takes. While that remains the case, playing in Europe would be preferrable.

But it has been very complicated for the five-time Ballon d’Or winner to find someone willing to take him on. Hence, as time passes, he might have to start thinking about which other continents he could play in.

There may be some lucrative offers available elsewhere. But as one of the best players of all time, Cristiano Ronaldo will want to ensure he ends up continuing at a competitive level.

READ MORECristiano Ronaldo interview: Gary Neville urges Man Utd to pull trigger on former teammate to set precedent

The article Cristiano Ronaldo: New destination presented for Man Utd attacker as ‘compelling proposition’ outlined by CEO appeared first on Teamtalk.com.