Covid-19: N Sembilan Matric College students quarantined after several test positive

Hariz Mohd, Aidila Razak
·2-min read
Covid-19: N Sembilan Matric College students quarantined after several test positive
Covid-19: N Sembilan Matric College students quarantined after several test positive

Students of the Negeri Sembilan Matriculation College (NSMC) in Seremban have been placed in isolation after several of them tested positive for Covid-19 in the last few days.

Malaysiakini has determined that family members were told that NSMC had placed a temporary ban on physical visits until further notice.

The cases were reported just within days after the government said that the need doesn't arise for students to undergo Covid-19 screening tests before returning to their respective hostel or residential colleges.

According to several sources linked to the college, at least a dozen students were placed under quarantine after they were identified as close contacts to those tested positive.

"So far, 12 students, who are considered to be closed contact to the first patient, have been swabbed by authorities," said a source, adding that at least 100 more students are inside the campus.

Malaysiakini has managed to independently verify that at least two cases have been detected among NSMC students so far.

However, it could not be ascertained if other cases after the first one were detected during contact tracing activities, or otherwise.

Attempts to get official confirmation and comments from the Education Ministry, NSMC, and the Negeri Sembilan state exco for health were so far unsuccessful.

One source, who is the next-of-kin of a student, said NSMC had issued a notice saying they were ordered to temporarily close from Jan 15 to Jan 22, 2021, after the first case was detected.

NSMC said that cafes at the college would still be in operation during the period, but students are only allowed to take away food and beverages.

"Parents are not allowed to meet students to deliver items during this period. Students are also not encouraged to order food through food delivery services," said the notice which was sighted by Malaysiakini.

It is learned that while physical classes had since been put on hold, the students would still have to attend online classes.

On Jan 15, Defence Minister Ismail Sabri Yaakob said schools and tertiary education institutions are not allowed to order students to undergo swab tests before they are allowed to return to their respective institutions