A Comprehensive Guide to PR1MA, My First Home Scheme, MyHome, Rumah Selangorku and RUMAWIP (Residensi Wilayah)

A Comprehensive Guide to PR1MA, My First Home Scheme, MyHome, Rumah Selangorku and RUMAWIP (Residensi Wilayah)
A Comprehensive Guide to PR1MA, My First Home Scheme, MyHome, Rumah Selangorku and RUMAWIP (Residensi Wilayah)

Klik sini untuk versi BM

Malaysia’s Affordable Home Schemes


1. What are the qualifying criteria for a PR1MA unit applicant?

The applicant, either an individual or family (husband & wife), must be:

  • Malaysian citizens

  • Age of 21 at the time of application

  • Total household income of between RM2,500 and RM15,000 monthly

  • Does not own more than 1 property

2. Can PR1MA unit applicants apply for PRIMA as a second home?

Yes, as long as the individual applicant or the family (husband or wife) does not own more than one property.

3. If I currently live in Malaysia, but my wife is in another country, can we jointly apply?

Yes, as long as you meet all requirements, including the income limit.

4. How do I officially apply for a PR1MA unit?

Go to www.pr1ma.my and click “Register Now”, then input all the required information. Alternatively, you can also make an enquiry on the PR1MA properties available on PropertyGuru.

5. Do I need to pay any fees when applying for a PR1MA housing unit?

You don’t have to worry, because applying for PR1MA housing is absolutely free of charge. There will be no charge when you sign up, as well as no attorney fees required.

All you have to do is register on the official PR1MA website, or go to any of PR1MA offices and sales galleries.

Also, beware of agents or third parties that offer form-filling services as we have not appointed such entities. We are the only agency responsible for allocating such homes.

6. Is my wife also required to register if I have already applied for a PR1MA unit?

Married couples only need to register once, but the submitted information must include the particulars of the husband and wife.

7. Can I register as an individual or family if I will be tying the knot soon?

During application, you can register as an individual, but you must update your profile and include the information of your spouse for ballot application.

8. What documents do I need to apply for a PR1MA home?

Kindly go to the PR1MA web page.
You also need to send copies of your Identity Card (IC), and copies of your latest bank statement or salary slip. However, as of March 2022, you will no longer be required to provide your payslip if you wish to apply.

9. Are PR1MA units freehold or leasehold?

It depends on the land proprietor for each PR1MA project.

10. What are the prices of PR1MA houses?

Their selling price ranges from RM100k to RM400k.

11. What are the unit layouts we can choose from?

Typically, a PR1MA apartment measures 600 sq ft to 1,200 sq ft, while a terrace PR1MA home is between 850 sq ft and 1,850 sq ft.

12. In Which Locations Are PR1MA Housing Projects Being Built?

Most PR1MA projects are conveniently located in conducive and attractive locations, such as major cities across Malaysia.

As such, there are many amenities close to PR1MA housing including schools, grocery stores, access to public transportation, and more.

13. What Can I Do If My Home Loan Application Is Rejected?

If you fail to obtain a loan from the bank, don’t worry, as you can apply for a special scheme called Flexible Financing Scheme (SPEF), which is offered only to PR1MA home buyers.

More interestingly, the scheme offers lower monthly instalments compared to regular loan rates. You can also use the savings from your EPF Account 2.

Source: PR1MA.my

My First Home Scheme (Skim Rumah Pertamaku)

1. Who can qualify for the My First Home Scheme?

  • Malaysian citizens

  • Aged 40 and below

  • Gross income of a single borrower cannot exceed RM5,000 per month

  • Joint borrowers must not surpass RM10,000, and their individual income must not go beyond the aforementioned amount

2. How Is This Different From PR1MA?

Units under PR1MA and SRP (Skim Rumah Pertamaku) are mainly differentiated by homeownership, household income and house price

You are only eligible for SRP if you are a first time homeowner who does not currently own any property. Hence the name “My First Home.”

However, you’ll still be eligible for a PR1MA unit even if you already own one property. 

In terms of household income, you are only eligible for SRP if your individual gross income is not more than RM5,000 or joint income of not more than RM10,000. Monthly household income to apply for PR1MA is between RM2,500 – RM15,000. 

SRP is available for houses priced between RM100,000 – RM500,000, while PR1MA is available for houses priced between RM100,000 – RM400,000.

3. Can self-employed Malaysians apply for the scheme?

Yes, this scheme is applicable for employees in the public and private sectors, including self-employed individuals.

4. I am self-employed while my spouse works in the private sector and earns RM3,000 per month. Can we apply as joint borrowers in the scheme?

No, only your spouse is qualified to apply and s/he needs to fulfil all the other criteria

5. My spouse and I respectively earn RM2,000 and RM3,000 per month. We wish to get 100% financing to buy our first home costing RM300,000. Do we qualify for the scheme?

Both of you are eligible, but the amount you can borrow depends on certain parameters. Under the scheme, total existing debt servicing of single or joint borrowers must not exceed 60% of their overall monthly net income.

Let’s assume both of you have outstanding car loans and personal debt with overall monthly repayment of RM1,200.

As shown in the sample calculations below, you and your spouse can only loan up to RM294,000, which requires monthly instalments of RM1,410.

These figures are based on prevailing interest rates and a maximum loan repayment period of 35 years, subject to borrowers’ age not surpassing 65 at the loan’s maturity.

Combined gross income: RM2,000 + RM3,000 = RM5,000
Total net income: RM4,350 (income after statutory deductions like tax, EPF & SOCSO)
Maximum monthly loan instalments allowed: 60% or RM2,610 out of RM4,350
Loan instalment cap minus existing monthly loan instalments: RM2,610 – RM1,200 = RM1,410

6. How can I qualify for full financing to purchase a RM400,000 home?

It is advisable to apply as joint borrowers to be eligible for a higher loan amount, but your individual monthly income should not exceed RM5,000.

Assuming both of you have zero outstanding debt while applying for the scheme, loan tenure is 35 years.

You both have to be able to meet all of the bank’s requirements, and the monthly instalment of the mortgage should not go beyond 60% of your combined net monthly income.

7. My friend and I fulfill all requirements. Can we apply as joint borrowers under the scheme?

No, joint borrowers need to be immediate family members such as husband and wife or brothers and sisters.

8. Does the scheme apply to completed houses and those under construction?

It covers both types of property, with the guarantee taking effect upon full disbursement of the loan.

9. My wife and I want to purchase a RM300,000 home. Are we eligible for 100% financing if we pass the income criteria?

Property valuation depends on the participating bank’s underwriting policy. Typically, lenders will provide a loan quantum based on its selling price or open market value as assessed by their own valuer, whichever is lower.

10. Can I apply for the scheme to refinance a prior housing loan?

No, the scheme does not apply to the refinancing of an existing mortgage.

11. Under the scheme, are there restrictions on types of houses that can be bought or are the properties limited to certain locations?

These depend on the participating banks’ underwriting policies. So it’s advisable to compare between the housing loan packages offered by different lenders.

12. How do I apply for the My First Home Scheme?

You can apply at any branch of a participating bank.

13. Where Can I Apply For SRP?

You can apply for financing under the SRP scheme at any one of the 22 participating banks (both conventional and Islamic).

  • Affin Bank

  • Alliance / Alliance Islamic  

  • Ambank / Ambank Islamic

  • Bank Islam

  • Bank Muamalat

  • CIMB / CIMB Islamic 

  • Hong Leong / Hong Leong Islamic 

  • Maybank / Maybank Islamic

  • MBSB Bank

  • OCBC / OCBC Al-Amin 

  • Public / Public Islamic  

  • RHB Bank

  • Standard Chartered / Standard Chartered Saadiq

  • UOB Bank 

14. Under the scheme, can I opt for Islamic financing?

Yes, it covers both conventional mortgages and Islamic financing.

15. What Are The Costs Of Applying For SRP?

There are no extra fees involved when applying for SRP. The respective banks’ usual interest rates will apply as well.

16. What is the maximum loan repayment period?

Loan tenure is up to 35 years, as long as the borrower’s age does not surpass 65 at the maturity of the mortgage, subject to the underwriting policies of the participating banks.

This means, if you are older, you need to apply for a loan with lower tenure.

17. Why You Should Know About Property Valuation Before Applying For SRP?

Any home loan you apply from banks will be based on the property’s valuation figure. This applies to SRP as well. 

When you apply for 100% financing from any one of the 22 participating banks, it will be up to the respective bank to value the property based on their panel of valuers.

Between the bank’s valuation price and the property’s purchase price, the loan amount you receive will be the lower of the two.

This means that if the bank values the property at a lower price than the actual purchase price, the loan amount you receive may not be 100%. 

You can find out more on what affects your property’s valuation here

18. Do we need to buy fire insurance/takaful and Mortgage Reducing Term Assurance (MRTA) or Mortgage Reducing Term Takaful (MRTT)?

Individual or joint borrowers are required to buy fire insurance/takaful. But for MRTA/MRTT, it depends on the participating bank.

Source: SRP.com.my


Residensi Wilayah (RUMAWIP) 

1. What is Residensi Wilayah?

Residensi Wilayah was once known as ‘Rumah Mampu Milik Wilayah Persekutuan’ (short form: RUMAWIP). It’s an affordable housing scheme targeted to moderate and low income earners who live and work in Wilayah Persekutuan.

2. What is its uniqueness?

Residensi Wilayah is unique as it only focuses on Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan.

3. What are the main characteristics?

Residensi Wilayah is targeted at first-time home buyers who belong to the moderate and low-income group.

4. How many RUMAWIP units will built?

The government plans to build around 80,000 units of RUMAWIP in a span of five years in Wilayah Persekutuan.

5. What are the categories of affordable housing offered in RUMAWIP?

There are three categories of affordable housing offered under RUMAWIP – they are studio or one bedroom, two bedrooms and three bedrooms, which come in the form of stratified houses.

6. What is household income?

Household income refers to the gross income, which includes salary and other allowances, earned by the household, by the husband and wife only.

7. How and when can one register for the scheme?

Interested persons can register via online registration at the website of the Kementerian Wilayah Persekutuan, Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur, Labuan and Perbadanan Putrajaya Corporation any time.

Applicants can select the housing projects of their choice once the offer to subscribe for a house is opened.

8. Can a person who owns a house in another state still be eligible to own a RUMAWIP unit?

Yes, as long as the person does not own a house in Wilayah Persekutuan, and these buyers will be subject to certain terms and conditions.

9. Are retirees allowed to buy RUMAWIP units?

Yes, retirees can purchase RUMAWIP units, subject to certain terms and conditions.

10. Can RUMAWIP owners sell their units?

Since RUMAWIP units were meant for owner-occupation, RUMAWIP owners are restricted from selling their units within 10 years following their purchase of the units from the government.

11. Can RUMAWIP units be rented out?

No, RUMAWIP units cannot be rented; they can only be purchased.

12. Can a RUMAWIP owner apply for a bigger unit?

Yes, a RUMAWIP owner who can now afford a larger home can apply for a bigger unit provided that the old unit is sold at a price approved by the agencies regulating the programme.

13. What are the types and prices of the house offered under RUMAWIP?

There are three types of houses under RUMAWIP, they are:

  • Rumah Harga Rendah – these types of homes have a minimum size of 700 sq ft (three bedroom) and cost RM52,000 in Labuan and RM63,000 in Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya

  • Rumah Harga Sederhana Rendah – these three bedroom homes have a minimum size of 800 sq ft and cost between RM63,001 and RM150,000

  • Rumah Harga Sederhana – these two bedroom homes have a minimum size of 650 sq ft and are priced from RM150,001 to RM300,000

14. Can a single person apply for RUMAWIP unit?

Yes, as long as the applicant’s monthly household income does not exceed RM10,000.

15. Who can register for RUMAWIP?

To register for RUMAWIP, an applicant must be a Malaysian citizen at least 18 years of age during the time of application and must be living or working in Wilayah Persekutuan.

16. Is there a cap on the household income for RUMAWIP applicants?

Yes. To be eligible for RUMAWIP, the monthly household income of an applicant must not exceed RM10,000 for singles or a combined monthly household income of RM15,000 for those who are married.

17. Can an applicant send supporting documents via email?

Yes, an applicant may send a copy of his/her supporting documents through RUMAWIP’s email address at urusetiarumawip@kwp.gov.my. However, the applicant will still need to submit the original copies of the supporting documents by hand or post to the address provided at the RUMAWIP Secretariat confirmation.

18. Does an applicant who is renting a house need to attach copies of electricity and water bills?

Yes, an applicant who is renting a house should attach copies of the house’s electricity and water bills.

19. Can an applicant use the same letter of oath for another RUMAWIP project?

No, every application for RUMAWIP project must come with the original copy of letter of oath that was signed by Judge/Magistrate/ Commissioner of Oaths. A mere photocopy or scanned copy of the oath will not be accepted.

20. How many projects can an applicant apply for at once?

Applicants are allowed to apply for not more than 3 projects at once.

21. What is the penalty if the applicant withdraws from the purchase of the RUMAWIP unit after the SPA is signed?

This will depend on the developer. However, the current practice is that a penalty charge of 1% of the unit will be imposed on the buyer if they withdraw from their purchase after signing the SPA document.

Source: RUMAWIP.kwp.gov.my

MyHome Affordable Home Scheme

1. What is the MyHome Scheme?

This is a housing scheme announced in 2013 that aims to help low-income families working in the private sector to purchase affordable dwellings. It is run by the Ministry of Urban Wellbeing, Housing and Local Government along with the Department of National Housing.

When it was introduced in April 2014, it initially involved a RM300 million allocation from the Federal Government and only covered 10,000 low-cost homes across the country.

2. Who qualifies for this housing scheme?

  • Malaysian citizens

  • Age 18 and above

  • The applicant and his/her spouse must not own any other property

  • Only one application is allowed per family

3. What are the available units and their sizes?

Overall, there are two types of homes offered under this scheme:

  • MyHome 1 measuring 800 sq ft

  • MyHome 2 measuring 850 sq ft

Both types of houses come with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Aside from that, the housing projects where these units are located comes with basic amenities like playground, surau, a community hall and parking spaces.

4. How much do these homes cost?

Through this scheme, the Federal Government is providing a RM30,000 subsidy per home. The market prices of these units range from RM80,000 to RM300,000, but due to the subsidy, they are only being sold to qualified MyHome Scheme applicants for only RM50,000 to RM270,000.

Aside from that, qualified applicants no longer need to pay a 10% down payment after inking the Sale and Purchase Agreement (SPA) as the RM30,000 subsidy is considered as the deposit.

5. Are there any income restrictions?

Yes, MyHome 1 is only open to households with a monthly income of between RM3,000 to RM4,000, while MyHome 1 is only open to families earning RM4,001 to RM6,000 per month. For particulars, please refer to the table below:


Subsidised Price

Market Price


Family Income Limit (Monthly)

MyHome 1

RM50,000 – RM90,000

RM80,000 – RM120,000

800 sq ft

RM3,000 – RM4,000

MyHome 1, Sabah & Sarawak

RM60,000 – RM90,000

RM90,000 – RM120,000

800 sq ft

RM3,000 – RM4,000

MyHome 1 Federal Territories

RM50,000 – RM120,000

RM80,000 – RM150,000

800 sq ft

RM3,000 – RM4,000

My Home 2

RM90,000 – RM170,000

RM120,000 – RM200,000

850 sq ft

RM4,001 – RM6,000

MyHome 2 Sabah & Sarawak

RM90,000 – RM220,000

RM120,000 – RM250,000

850 sq ft

RM4,001 – RM6,000

MyHome 2 Federal Territories

RM120,000 – RM270,000

RM150,000 – RM300,000

850 sq ft

RM4,001 – RM6,000

6. Where are the houses located?

The location, types of houses and list of housing projects are constructed by the states, ie. Malacca, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Pahang, Kelantan, Selangor, Johor Bahru, Sabah, Perak and Kedah. See full list here: https://teduh.kpkt.gov.my/project

7. How do I apply for the MyHome scheme?

Please visit the official website at http://ehome.kpkt.gov.my. Private real estate developers may also visit the portal if they are interested in partnering with the government for this scheme.

8. What are the documents I need to include in my application?

  • A copy of the identity card of the applicant and his/her spouse

  • For married applicants, they need to submit a Copy of Marriage Certificate

  • If applicable, they need a copy of their OKU card / OKU confirmation letter

  • For self-employed, the latest pay slips or confirmation of income from Commissioner for Oaths

  • For employed Malaysians, they need a copy of their most recent paycheck and employer’s confirmation letter

  • Copy of latest income tax return or EPF statement

  • If applicable, copy of pension letter

  • Copy of identity card, MyKid and birth certificate

  • Credit reports and records of applicant or couples in the Central Credit Reference Information System (CCRIS) or CTOS

Important: The online application must include all required applicable supporting documents. Otherwise, the application will not be accepted.

9. Who will check my application?

All applications will be reviewed by the scheme’s purchaser selection committee chaired by the NRD’s Deputy Director-General (Development). Members include representatives from the Housing Ministry, Finance Ministry, respective state government and related housing agencies.

10. Can I sell the house I got from the MyHome Scheme?

It depends. Those who have successfully acquired a residential property via this scheme are not allowed to sell for 10 years starting from when the SPA agreement is signed. But you can transfer ownership to immediate family members anytime.

Source: BR1M.info

Rumah Selangorku Affordable Home Scheme

1. What is Rumah Selangorku?

This is a low-cost housing scheme launched by the state government in 2015 that is intended only for Selangor residents, particularly low- and medium-income families.

The scheme is being managed by the Selangor Housing and Property Board (LPHS). The units are either constructed by the state authorities or a government-linked company (GLC), with funding from the state government of Selangor.

2. Who qualifies for this housing scheme?

To be allowed to purchase a Rumah Selangorku home, one must be a Malaysian citizen age 18 years and above. He or she must also be a resident of the state of Selangor.

3. What are the available units, how much do they cost and what are the sizes of these homes?

Unit Type

Built Up



700 sq ft



750 sq ft



800 sq ft



900 sq ft



1,080 sq ft



1,000 sq ft



1,200 sq ft


4. Can I choose from any of these units?

Yes, but only during the initial application period. In addition, there is an income limit for certain categories of houses.

Type A homes are only open to families (husband and wife) earning up to RM3,000 per month. Type B, C and D are only open to families earning between RM3,001 to RM8,000 per month.

5. Are there any other restrictions for buyers of these homes?

  • Each family or household is only permitted to submit one application for 1 unit.

  • Applicant (husband or wife) must not have any other property.

  • These houses are intended for own occupation. Hence, they cannot be rented out to others.

  • These properties can only be sold after five years starting from when you’ve inked the Sale and Purchase (SPA) Agreement. You also need to secure the approval of the state government before you’re allowed to sell your home.

6. How do I apply to purchase a Rumah Selangorku home?

Effective January 2015, all applications must be done online at http://lphs.selangor.gov.my. Any application via forms or any other kind will be rejected.

7. Where are these units located?

These houses are situated across the state of Selangor. For particulars, please check the official website.

Important: Kindly double check the chosen location before submitting the online application.

8. What are the documents needed for my application?

  • A copy of the identity card of the applicant and spouse.

  • Copies of identity cards or birth certificates of children/dependents.

  • For married applicants, they need to submit a Copy of Marriage Certificate. If applicable, they also need to submit a copy of Letter Divorce or Death Certificate of spouse.

  • Single Confirmation letter from employer or Commissioner of Oath for self-employed applicants who are not married.

  • For self-employed, the latest pay slips or confirmation of income from Commissioner for Oaths.

  • If spouse is unemployed, statutory declaration from the Commissioner of Oaths.

  • EPF account statement (if any).

  • A copy of water or electricity bill.

  • Credit reports and records of applicant or couples in the Central Credit Reference Information System (CCRIS) or CTOS.

9. How do I know if my application has been approved?

To check your application status, please visit the website.

Qualified applications will be contacted via a letter of notification by the home builder, which will require the applicant to submit supporting documents needed by LPHS. All completed applications will be submitted by the developer to LPHS for review and approval before the offer letter is officially issued by LPHS to the applicant.

Important: If the application is given a “pending” status, it may mean that the applicant does not meet the requirements or lacks documents. A successful application is also subject to the availability of units in the selected location.

10. Is there a validity period for my application?

The validity period for each application is two years. Thereafter, pending application data will be removed from the system. But if you are still keen to apply for a Rumah Selangorku home after an unsuccessful attempt, you need to re-submit a new application.

11. What will happen if I reject the offer letter?

Those who turned down the offer letter from LPHS will be deemed “inactive” for two years. This means you will only be allowed to re-apply again for a Rumah Selangorku home after that period.

12. How are applicants selected for a Rumah Selangorku home?

The selection process is based on a merit system. Unsuccessful applicants will not be able to appeal any rejection, as all decisions made are final.

Source: eHartanah.lphs.gov.my

Relevant Guides: