Chinese associations are claiming their demands were not met during discussions with the government on Covid-19 standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the upcoming Chinese New Year celebration on Feb 12 and 13.
The Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (KLSCAH) claimed in a statement that the announced SOPs did not reflect what was discussed in previous meetings.
According to KLSCAH women's division chairperson Ng Geok Chee, who attended the meetings held online, there were discussions for less than 20 family members to be allowed at reunion dinners.
Instead, the published SOPs said, "only family members living in the same house are allowed for reunion dinner".
Fo Guang Shan Malaysia Chief Abbess, Venerable Jue Cheng, told Malaysiakini there was no final decision made during the online meeting. She said the government was only collecting opinions.
She added that Fo Guang Shan only attended the first meeting, although they were invited to both sessions on Jan 12 and 18.
Previously, the Ministry of National Unity claimed there were 21 religious and cultural Chinese associations that were consulted.
Its deputy minister Ti Lian Ker also took to social media to vent his frustrations on the published SOPs.
Meanwhile, Malaysia-China Chamber of Commerce (MCCC) President Tan Yew Sing told Malaysiakini that their representative only attended one of the two dialogue sessions.
Family reunion dinners and house visiting issues were not discussed in the first session on Jan 12, he said.
After receiving complaints, the National Security Council (MKN) issued an updated version of the SOPs on Feb 5, removing the cap of 20 people being allowed at reunion dinners.
However, the new version of the SOPs maintained that the celebrations will be confined to members of the same household who are living together but deleted the wording: "visit family members in the same house".