KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 28 — Incumbent Klang MP Charles Santiago slammed DAP secretary-general Anthony Loke and Selangor chapter chairman Gobind Singh Deo for saying that they were doing him a favour by allowing him to continue as a lawmaker despite not holding any position in the party.
Charles said this narrative was a mere afterthought to mitigate the huge backlash the party is seeing in response to news that Charles, who first won the seat in 2008, was being replaced as the candidate for Klang in the 15th general election (GE15).
"Let me make this clear. DAP never informed me that 2018 would be the last time I would be fielded as a candidate,” he said in a statement.
He added that despite Gobind’s suggestion, there was no such arrangement or indication to replace him in 2013 or 2018.
"I am glad that both Loke and Gobind have recognised the magnanimity in which I have accepted the party’s decision but it’s unfortunate that they are resorting to such responses given the massive public criticism,” he said.
He said that he would no longer be commenting about his candidacy and once more appealed to the people of Klang to vote in a Pakatan Harapan (PH) government.
"Let me set the record straight: I entered politics for the sole purpose of advancing the agenda of the people and giving voice to those who can't speak for themselves.
"DAP was the platform I chose and it has been the best platform for me to do so, for which I am forever grateful. I was not in politics to build my faction,” he said.
On Wednesday, the activist-turned-politician wished his replacement, V. Ganabatirau, luck in GE15 and said he would continue to speak out against Umno and other corrupt elements in the country.
Prior to the announcement of Charles’ replacement, rumours that he would be dropped had already been spreading, prompting some non-governmental groups and supporters to launch a campaign advocating for him to be retained.