In his near-empty pub in Portugal's Algarve, Samuel Tilley has been left reeling.
Regulations in his home country Britain are keeping tourists away.
Usually packed at this time of the year, Vilamoura is quiet.
Hospitality staff are questioning Britain's decision to leave Portugal off a list of more than 50 countries safe enough for travel without restrictions:
"It was very shocking, I don't believe there's any logic behind it, so we are very sad about this fact and I feel there is wonderful people here in the Algarve and beyond and I feel this really hurt them
Portugal initially won praise for its quick response to the pandemic.
But a persistent count of several hundred new cases per day has worried authorities at home and abroad.
The UK safe travel list, which allows holidaymakers to dodge a 14-day quarantine upon returning home, is expected to be reviewed by next Monday (July 27).
Last year, Portugal welcomed about 2 million Britons, with 64% of them heading to the sunny Algarve, famed for its sandy beaches and golf courses.
So far in 2020, only 92,000 Britons have made it there.
On average, the Algarve's hotels are surviving with only 40% occupancy.
And one hotel association in the region says the damage cannot be reversed, as many people have already opted for other destinations.
Francisco Melo, who runs boat tours along the coast, says there is a silver lining to how quiet things are, which he hopes will help bring tourists back:
"Things are hard but the sea is full of life, with dolphins, tuna, horse mackerel. We have never seen the sea like this."
But the Algarve saw its number of registered unemployed in June rise 231% compared to the same period last year, forcing the government to act.
This week it announced a package of 300 million euros or 346 million dollars to support the region's struggling economy.