VIDEO SHOWS: SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ POST-FIGHT NEWS CONFERENCE AFTER WBA FIGHT WIN AGAINST CALLUM SMITH
RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, UNITED STATES (DECEMBER 20, 2020) (MATCHROOM - EDITORIAL USE ONLY. MUST COURTESY 'MATCHROOM BOXING'. NO RESALES)
1. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish with official English translation) SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ, ON HOW HE WAS ABLE TO DOMINATE THE FIGHT, SAYING:
"Because I'm better, because I have many abilities. I make them think about what they're going to throw and it's simply because I'm better."
2. REPORTER ASKING ON NEXT POTENTIAL FIGHTS FOR CANELO AGAINST CALEB PLANT OR BILLY JOE SAUNDERS, AND HOW CANELO WOULD APPROACH THE FIGHT GIVEN THEIR DIFFERENT STYLES TO SMITH
3. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish with official English translation) SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ, SAYING:
"Well as I said, I adapt, I adapt to all styles, I adapted for Callum Smith this time around and I'll always prepare for any type of style and I'll always be ready to win."
4. WHITE FLASH
5. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish with official English translation) SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ, ON CRITICS RELUCTANCE TO CALL HIM BEST POUND FOR POUND FIGHTER IN BOXING, SAYING:
"There's always going to be that group of people that no matter what you do, they're never gonna care, they're never gonna like you. It doesn't matter how many titles you earn, they're never gonna care, they're never gonna like you and you know, but there is that group of people who will always stick with you and that's who I'm happy to have and that's who I always like to keep happy."
6. WHITE FLASH
7. (SOUNDBITE) (English) SAUL 'CANELO' ALVAREZ, ON WHETHER OR NOT HE'S CONSIDERING MOVING TO CRUISERWEIGHT DIVISION, SAYING:
"No. It's too much. I think 168 and 160 is my best."
STORY: Mexican boxing's global superstar Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez said his dominant victory over Britain's Callum Smith on Saturday (December 19) was down to him being the better fighter.
Speaking at a post-fight news conference in the early hours of Sunday morning (December 20) in San Antonio, Alvarez said he can adapt to any opponent, even potential upcoming opponents Caleb Plant and Billy Joe Saunders, and overcome their strengths with his own.
Canelo, whose only professional loss came against Floyd Mayweather, said he didn't pay a lot of attention to his critics or those who question his status as boxing's best pound for pound fighter.
Canelo won the WBA title on points against Smith, with the judges giving him a comfortable margin of victory.
(Production: Mussab Al-Khairalla)