Falcons wide receiver Calvin Ridley is among the group of celebrities in the Atlanta area who have had their home targeted by a local gang, a prosecutor announced on Monday in a 220-count indictment.
Ridley, along with singer Mariah Carey, Atlanta United player Brad Guzan and Marlo Hampton from “The Real Housewives of Atlanta,” have all had their homes broken into in recent weeks. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis announced the massive indictment, which charges 26 people she said were part of the Drug Rich gang, and said they have committed carjackings, kidnappings, armed robbery, shootings and home invasions.
The gang, she said, has been targeting celebrities, social media influencers and more.
“What they do is target people who show their wealth on social media,” Willis said, via The Associated Press. “So I do have a message for the public: Where it is kind of fun to put your things on social media and show off, unfortunately these gangs are becoming more savvy, more sophisticated in the way that they target you.”
Willis said she is pursuing the toughest possible penalties for the 26 people included in the indictment, which was filed on Aug. 22.
“If you thought Fulton was a good county to bring your crime to, to bring your violence to, you are wrong and you are going suffer consequences and today is the start of some of those consequences,” Willis said, via The Associated Press.
“I am not going to negotiate with gang members. I am not going to allow pleas,” she added. “We are going to find you, we are going to convict you and we’re going to send you to the prison for the rest of your days, and I’m not apologizing for that.”
It’s unclear when Ridley’s home was targeted or broken into, and if anything was taken or damaged.
Ridley is currently serving an indefinite suspension at least through the 2022 season for gambling on NFL games during the 2021 season. The 26-year-old appeared in just five games last year, and stepped away at one point to focus on his mental health. He is still on his initial four-year, $10.9 million deal he signed with the Falcons after they took him with the No. 26 overall pick in 2018. The fifth-year option on that deal, worth about $11.1 million, will be deferred until the 2023 season.