A five-year-old boy melted hearts during his adoption finalization hearing in Bernalillo, New Mexico, on October 27 as he went on the record to say tell the court that his mother was “the best mom he ever had.”
The boy’s mother, Jennifer Hubby, told Storyful that the judge had asked if anyone had a statement for the record, at which point her son “spoke up, unscripted.”
“I wanted to say that I love my mom so much, and that she’s the best mom I ever had,” he told the court.
The judge responded to his outpouring of love by telling him, “It’s important to tell people you love them when they care about you. And so you’re a lucky guy!”
Speaking to Storyful, Hubby said: “We have been wanting to do this since his birth (he has had two moms since birth) but cost and life always was a factor. After years of saving, we finally decided to move forward with it.” Credit: Jennifer Hubby via Storyful
- I wanted to say that I love my mom so much and that she's the best mom I ever had, and I love her so much.
- Oh, my gosh. Well, you know what? It's important to tell people you love them when they care about you. And so you're a lucky guy. So I'm glad this-- I'm glad to see you. And I'm glad you love them. That's what-- that's what we're supposed to be doing.
All right. So I have a copy of the final decree of adoption. All the items, I believe, were ready to the record by the attorney that the court has jurisdiction, and it is properly presented to the court. There's no question that the parents are the parents and that [INAUDIBLE] does not-- I will take that [INAUDIBLE] does not apply in this matter. It is an open adoption. Counseling was waived. The 90 days has passed. [INAUDIBLE] is a suitable adopt-- adoptive parent, and that as of the date of this decree, the adoptee is the child of the petitioner and shows the state the legal relation of parent and child. And if the adoptee were the biological child of petitioner and petitioner was the biological parent of the adoptee, the adoptee shall have all the rights and be subject to all the duties in that relation, including right of inheritance from and through the petitioner. And petitioner shall have all the rights and subject to all the duties in that relation, including right of inheritance from and through the adoptee. And so it says, it is so ordered. [INAUDIBLE] Hello.
Nice hair. You've got great hair.
JENNIFER HUBBY: What do you say?
- Thank you.
- You're welcome.
- It's sort of like your thing.
- I got to get better goopy stuff to put on my hair. I'll just trade my eyes for his. So here you go. Congratulations.
JENNIFER HUBBY: Thank you so much.
- Congratulations. You're lucky parents.