Bosses at Masgouf London, in Connaught Street, were taken to court by Westminster City Council over a string of health and safety violations.
Cockroaches were found in the food preparation area, including inside a pot of onions, while mouse droppings were also discovered in the kitchen.
Among a host of hygiene failings, two boxes of fresh seabass were left sitting outside in the waste area and cooked meat and rice had been left out to cool for hours instead of being instantly chilled.
Westminster magistrates court heard council officers shut down the Middle Eastern restaurant, close to Hyde Park, after the initial inspection on October 5 last year.
They returned a few weeks later and found cockroaches still on the premises, so maintained the closure order.
The restaurant pleaded guilty to five breaches of Food Safety and Hygiene Regulations, and was sentenced last week by magistrates to a £10,600 fine, with £3,645 in costs and a £2,000 victim surcharge.
“We want residents and visitors to enjoy the city’s fantastic bars and restaurants safe in the knowledge that food is not being cooked in appalling conditions”, said Councillor Aicha Less, the council’s deputy leader and cabinet member for communities, public protection and licensing.
“The detail of this case shows a complete disregard for the most basic of hygiene standards. I hope this sizable fine awarded acts as a serious warning to other premises.”
A statement from the management of the restaurant said: “This problem was one year ago. The problem has been solved. We have had a couple of checks from the council since then and we have been given 5 stars.”