Bakerloo line suspended but Transport for London returns to near capacity after strikes

The Bakerloo line has been suspended  (Jeremy Selwyn)
The Bakerloo line has been suspended (Jeremy Selwyn)

Transport for London’s network has been operating at almost full capacity on Saturday on the back of a 24 hour strike by a union - although the Bakerloo line is suspended due to works.

On Friday, the Transport Salaried Staffs’ Association held a walkout which saw a number of stations forced to close during the day.

Among those to be shut for at least part of the day were Aldgate, Caledonian Road, Bermondsey, Barbican, Temple, Vauxhall and Piccadilly Circus.

On Saturday, however, it was business almost as normal with a partial suspension and part closure of the London Overground from Euston to Watford.

As of 3.30pm there were also minor delays on the Northern line and the planned closure of the Bakerloo line.

The Bakerloo is out of action due to London Underground and Network Rail track work which will also see it out of use on Sunday as well.

The union had said their action was likely to cause Tube stations to close at the last minute, including into Saturday morning, but this might not have been as bad as feared.

In addition to the walkouts, TSSA has banned overtime for its members until May 5.

TSSA general secretary Maryam Eslamdoust said: “It’s clear that our customer service managers’ strike on April 10 made a real impact, many stations shut at short notice, and we had overwhelming support from the public.

“Because of London Underground’s refusal to get back round the negotiating table, we have been forced to take further strike action this week.

“London Underground must now come clean with the public. Their refusal to negotiate seriously and fairly with our union will lead to stations closing at the last minute and other stations being understaffed.

“We have made it clear that our union will not accept the continued threats to our members’ roles, locations, terms and conditions to stand unchallenged.

“We will continue to take sustained action until London Underground is prepared to negotiate with us in good faith.”