Two things almost everyone loves: crispy french fries and creamy avocado. So we decided to combine the two into one satisfying side dish of avocado "fries."The best part: No deep-frying required.
Servings: 6 servings
Time: Start to Finish: 1 hour
3 medium avocados--cut in half, pitted and scooped away from the peel
¼ cup lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to finish
2 egg whites
2½ cups panko bread crumbs
Hot sauce, for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and grease it with nonstick spray.
2. Cut each prepared avocado half into 6 thick slices (36 total).
3. Place the lemon juice in a small bowl. In a large, shallow bowl, mix the flour with the salt to combine. In another large, shallow bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. In a third large, shallow bowl, place the bread crumbs.
4. Working in batches, dip each piece of avocado first into the lemon juice, then into the flour mixture, then into the egg white and then into the bread crumbs. Transfer the breaded avocado to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining avocado slices.
5. Bake until the breading is golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with additional salt to taste and then serve immediately with hot sauce for dipping.