Australian Open chief blames mixed advice for Djokovic saga

Tiley refused to apportion blame for the saga over Djokovic's exemption from the mandate that people entering the country be vaccinated against coronavirus. He said Tennis Australia had engaged in discussions with federal and Victoria state officials for several months in order to ensure the safe passage of players into the country.

"We are not going to lay the blame on anyone," Tiley told Channel 9, which holds the domestic broadcast rights to the Australian Open.

Djokovic has spent four days in immigration detention in a Melbourne hotel ahead of his appeal against a removal order issued by the Australian Border Force on Thursday morning. In a court filing on Saturday, his lawyers said he had been given a medical exemption as he had contracted and recovered from a COVID-19 infection detected on Dec. 16.

The court hearing on Djokovic's case is set to begin at 10 a.m. (2300 GMT) on Monday. The nine-times Australian Open champion is seeking to win his 21st Grand Slam title at the tournament starting on Jan. 17.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting