The singer released the song late on Saturday night, after which it became trending on Twitter by Sunday morning. The song, which features rapper Rick Ross, makes numerous nods to his relationship with Pinkett Smith and references her husband Will Smith.
More from Variety
- Jada Pinkett Smith, Will Smith's Raw 'Red Table Talk' Episode Tops 15 Million Facebook Views in First 24 Hours
- Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith's Emotional 'Red Table Talk' Demonstrates Their Business Savvy (Column)
- Jada Pinkett Smith and Will Smith Address Prior Separation, August Alsina Relationship on 'Red Table Talk'
“The definition of entanglement / It’s when you’re tangled in the sheets / Girl I know that we don’t call it a relationship / But you’re still f—in’ with me,” Alsina sings on the chorus.
The word “entanglement” got a huge boost on social media after Pinkett Smith used it to describe her relationship with Alsina during a bombshell episode of “Red Table Talk.” Prior to the Smiths clearing the air on the Facebook Watch show, Alsina claimed that Smith gave him his blessing to begin a relationship with his wife. However, both the Smiths denied that was true.
“What August was actually trying to communicate — because I could actually see how he would perceive it as permission because we were separated amicably — I think he also wanted to make it clear that he’s not a homewrecker, which he’s not,” Pinkett Smith said on “Red Table Talk.”
Nevertheless, Alsina makes references to an unnamed man who seems to be Smith on “Entanglements.”
“I’m on my way, yeah / I’ma pull up when he dip / He’s always think me and you f—in’ / If he see me, he gon’ trip,” he sings.
The emotional episode of “Red Table Talk” received more than 15 million views in 24 hours on Facebook Watch when it premiered on July 10.
Best of Variety
- The Best Movies on Netflix
- Everything Coming to Netflix in July
- What's Coming to Disney Plus in July 2020