KUALA LUMPUR, May 24 — A thorough investigation must be conducted to determine if controller negligence was behind the two-train crash on the LRT Kelana Jaya line near the KLCC station tonight, Tan Sri Annuar Musa said.
Annuar made the remarks after confirming earlier that the collision involved casualties among the trains passengers,
“The coach collision incident that took place an hour ago must be carefully investigated for its cause, and to determine if there was negligence — particularly at the control tower.
“Public safety must always be prioritised,” the Federal Territories minister said on Twitter.
Earlier, Annuar disclosed that the collision was between a vacant train and another carrying passengers at an underground section near the KLCC station.
Pictures and videos are being shared on social media from the scene of the accident.
Some depict bloodied passengers lying on the floor while others showed glass shards — possibly from the partitions at the ends of the benches — strewn across the floor of the LRT coaches.
In a press conference at 10.30pm, Transport Minister Datuk Seri Wee Ka Siong confirmed that 47 people were seriously injured from the 166 who were wounded in the collision.
Wee said the 8.33pm accident involved one train carrying 232 passengers and another vacant one that had been on a test run.
The trains on the LRT Kelana Jaya line are automated and driverless.
The accident today is the worst to involve any of Malaysia’s modern rail and rapid transit rail lines.
Related Articles Cops urge public not to speculate on cause of LRT train crash LRT train crash: FT minister says six passengers in critical condition, some intubated at HKL Ka Siong: KLCC train collision first in LRT’s 23-year history, full probe to follow