ALMOST 50,000 LAW ENFORCERS HELP MONITOR MCO COMPLIANCE - ISMAIL SABRI

RAVICHANDRAN A/L D.J PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR, March 22 (Bernama) -- Almost 50,000 law enforcers comprising Armed Forces, police, RELA, and local authorities’ personnel are out to ensure public compliance of the Movement Control Order announced by the government to flatten the infection curve of COVID-19.

Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said apart from state security councils, district disaster management centres would also be activated to help enforce the order.

He said although the police had so far found the compliance rate to be 90 per cent, he still viewed seriously the remaining 10 per cent as their numbers were also large given the population of over 31 million people in the country.

The government has also agreed to place police and military personnel at markets or supermarkets to monitor compliance with the call to practice social distancing, Ismail Sabri, who is also Defence Minister, told a media conference here today.

He said this was because most markets and supermarkets had remained congested even after the MCO entered its fifth day today.

-- MORE