Arugula is more than just a peppery green that sometimes makes an appearance in fancy restaurant salads. You can buy it at any grocery store, and it’s packed with phytochemicals and antioxidants. And best of all, it’s delightfully versatile, since it adds magic to everything from pesto to smoothies. Did we mention it’s at peak deliciousness from late summer through the winter? Here are 35 arugula recipes you’ll want to try at home while its flavor is most intense.
1. Roasted Peach and Arugula Salad
2. Onion and Arugula Frittata
3. Pumpkin Pizza Crust with Arugula and Prosciutto
4. Crispy Goat-Cheese Salad
In heaven, every meal comes topped with a warm, pistachio-coated goat-cheese ball.
5. Potato-Chip Crusted Chicken with Arugula Pesto
6. Poached Egg with Frisée and Arugula Salad
Breakfast has never looked so elegant. Make it more filling by topping the salad off with sliced avocado or crumbled bacon.
7. Cornish Hens and Parmesan Polenta with Fennel and Arugula
8. Strawberry, Basil and Arugula Salad with Lots of Black Pepper
You've had more strawberry-spinach salads than you can count. But we swapped our favorite peppery green in to make this dish way less retro. The berries are marinated in rice vinegar and honey, which brings out all their juices and sweetness.
9. Shrimp with Cauliflower “Grits” and Arugula
10. Any-Green Pesto
That's right—spinach, arugula, watercress, cilantro and parsley can all stand in for traditional basil. Our only nonnegotiable is that you toast the nuts before adding them to the pesto.
11. Bacon Mac and Cheese
12. Citrus, Fennel and Avocado Salad
13. Roasted Radishes with Butter
Radishes, the most underrated spring produce out there. Buttery roasted radishes are a classic French snack, but finishing them with wilted arugula turns the pretty-in-pink dish into a full-blown side.
14. Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
The arugula is tossed in olive oil and fresh lemon juice before topping a mound of tender, au jus-soaked beef chuck.
15. Sweet Potato Rösti with Fried Eggs and Greens
16. Breakfast Sliders
Citrus-kissed arugula meets breakfast sausage, cheddar cheese and scrambled eggs for a sandwich that will redefine the phrase "good morning" for you at first bite.
17. Chicken with White Wine, Leek, Spinach and Arugula Pan Sauce
18. Arugula Walnut Pesto
Pesto doesn’t have to be basil and pine nuts. And did we mention you can whip up this version in 15 minutes flat?
19. Pesto Panini with Arugula, Avocado and Sun-Dried Tomato
20. Emilie Raffa’s Everyday Sourdough and Spicy White Bean Arugula Dip
21. Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Fresh basil-arugula pesto (made with smoked almonds!) is the secret to these beyond-flavorful handhelds.
22. Arugula, Fig and Fried White Sweet-Potato Salad
23. Arugula Tartine with Bacon, Feta and Tarragon Vinaigrette
This dish is so hearty, thanks to crumbled bacon, salty feta, a sunny-side up egg and a savory tarragon vinaigrette. Just add a glass of wine and you’re ready for lunch.
Get the recipe
24. Pan-Seared Scallops with Creamy Lemon Beet Puree
Look at you, chef. This restaurant-caliber dish but will look fab on your dinner table. (And it’s easier than it looks, we promise.)
25. Creamy Arugula Risotto
Coterie member Gaby Dalkin helps us sneak some veggies into this creamy Italian rice dish. (Don’t worry, it’s not too healthy—there’s still white wine, Parm and a dollop of mascarpone cheese.)
26. Blackberry Goat Cheese Salad
Transform the blackberries and arugula in your farmers market haul into pure heaven. (Then Instagram the hell out of it.)
Get the recipe
27. Mushroom Pesto Flatbread Pizza
Thanks to the base being store-bought garlic naan, these pies only take 15 minutes to make from start to finish.
28. Arugula and Watermelon Salad in a Jar
29. Five-Onion Tart with Arugula Salad
This sweet-and-tangy tart has five types of onions—yellow, scallions, leeks, shallots and chives—all atop a deliciously flaky tart crust.
30. Asparagus and Arugula Pasta Salad
31. Orange and Arugula Smoothie Bowl
32. Cacio e Pepe with Arugula and Lemon
Sure, it’s not traditional cacio e pepe, but we love that we’re squeezing in some extra greens. Add arugula and a spritz of lemon for a flavorful twist on the classic Italian pasta dish.
33. Arugula Salad with Shaved Parmesan Three Ways
Coterie member Heidi Larsen gives us three ways to mix up this arugula and Parmesan salad. They’re each so good, you’ll want to try them all.
34. Roasted Balsamic Strawberry Cherry Pita Pizzas with Arugula
35. Havarti and Arugula Grilled Cheese with Smoky Bacon Jam and Triple-Herb Butter
You deserve a major upgrade from your daily PB&J. If you want to keep it vegetarian, opt for savory homemade onion jam instead of bacon.
For even more great recipes, check out our first cookbook, Only the Good Stuff.