11-Year-Old Girl’s Hand Amputated After Twin Lights Explosive She Thought Was a Firework: Police

"After realizing her mistake, the sister frantically tried to extinguish the device in the bathroom sink, but it was too late," authorities said

<p>Getty</p> A stock image of an ambulance in motion.


A stock image of an ambulance in motion.

An 11-year-old girl in Michigan had her hand amputated after police say her twin sister "mistakenly lit an explosive device" — thinking it was a firework.

The June 27 incident in River Rouge severely injured Caitlyn Conway, local TV stations WJBK and WXYZ reported.

In a GoFundMe campaign organized by police, authorities said Caitlyn's sister "mistakenly lit an explosion device, believing it to be a harmless firework. In a split second, their lives were changed forever."

"After realizing her mistake, the sister frantically tried to extinguish the device in the bathroom sink, but it was too late," police added. "The explosion caused significant injuries to one of the sisters, resulting in the amputation of her right hand and part of her forearm."

According to law enforcement, Caitlyn's sister only sustained minor cuts and bruises; and the twins' father told WJBK in a story published last week that Caitlyn was "in good spirits."

Related: Multiple Injured After Fireworks Shoot into Crowd at Fourth of July Event in Utah

Police said an adult woman, who was not identified, was asleep on the couch when the explosion happened and that the girls' mom was at work, per WJBK.

Afterwards, the sisters sought help from their aunt, who lives two doors down, according to WXYZ.

"My first response was to make sure she did not die," Erica Dickerson, the aunt, told the station.

Related: Florida Man Initially Thought to Have Been Fatally Shot May Have Died from Fireworks Accident: Police

The explosion caused extensive damage to the exterior and interior of the home, police said in their message on GoFundMe, noting that the family is now looking for a new place to live.

Meanwhile, authorities told WJBK that Caitlyn was released from the hospital.

Investigators have since determined that the device belonged to the girls' grandfather, WXYZ reported. He was not charged with a crime, according to the station.

PEOPLE has reached out to police for further comment.

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

"The remaining material from the [explosive] is in the process of being sent to Michigan State Police Laboratory for additional testing," police told WJBK, noting that the investigation remains ongoing.

Police in the GoFundMe offered their support for the family "in their time of need." So far, more than $5,000 has been raised.

"No family should have to endure such a devastating loss," police said, "and every donation, no matter how small, can make a difference in helping them rebuild and recover from this tragedy."

For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!

Read the original article on People.